Q. Should we think of IUI or ICSI to conceive?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My wife and myself have been married for one year and seven months. We started regular coitus about eight months ago for at least two to three times per week. Her cycle occurs every month, but ranges between 26 to 29 days. We are unable to conceive. Her hormonal profile and pelvic US are normal. Based on my attached seminal fluid analysis, what is your analysis? What suggestions can you make concerning the low motility? Should we think of IUI or ICSI? I am a general practitioner by profession.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Having gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I feel you and your wife have a good chance of conception with IUI (intrauterine insemination).
  • However, I would like to suggest you get your wife's tubes tested by means of a hysterosalpingography. If the tubes are open, then you should go for three to four cycles of IUI.
  • If the tubes blocked (I hope not), then IVF (in vitro fertilization) is the best option.
  • There is no need for ICSI as per the current reports. I wish you good luck.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

Thank you so much for your prompt and direct response. It is well noted. Is there any chance for normal conception using conservative treatment? What conservative treatment do you recommend?

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• To be honest, as long as your wife is menstruating regularly, it is a good sign.
  • However, the fact is that you have tried to conceive normally, but has not been able to do so. A little help at this time would be like a stitch in time.
  • I would advise that if the tubes are open, then IUI is the best option for now.

For further doubts consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|