Q. Should we think of IUI or ICSI to conceive?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My wife and myself have been married for one year and seven months. We started regular coitus about eight months ago for at least two to three times per week. Her cycle occurs every month, but ranges between 26 to 29 days. We are unable to conceive. Her hormonal profile and pelvic US are normal. Based on my attached seminal fluid analysis, what is your analysis? What suggestions can you make concerning the low motility? Should we think of IUI or ICSI? I am a general practitioner by profession.

#

• Having gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I feel you and your wife have a good chance of conception with IUI (intrauterine insemination).
  • However, I would like to suggest you get your wife's tubes tested by means of a hysterosalpingography. If the tubes are open, then you should go for three to four cycles of IUI.
  • If the tubes blocked (I hope not), then IVF (in vitro fertilization) is the best option.
  • There is no need for ICSI as per the current reports. I wish you good luck.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Thank you so much for your prompt and direct response. It is well noted. Is there any chance for normal conception using conservative treatment? What conservative treatment do you recommend?

#

• To be honest, as long as your wife is menstruating regularly, it is a good sign.
  • However, the fact is that you have tried to conceive normally, but has not been able to do so. A little help at this time would be like a stitch in time.
  • I would advise that if the tubes are open, then IUI is the best option for now.

For further doubts consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

Following IUI, when can I test for pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My last period was on the 26th of last month. I had IUI on 7th evening and 8th morning of this month. When can I test for pregnancy?  Read Full »

Are there any risks involved with IUI?

Query: Hi doctor, What is IUI? My physician asked us to go for it apart from trying the natural process. Are there any complications involved in it?  Read Full »

Can I conceive with help of Staminogro after losing one fallopian tube?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 33 years old. Two years back, I had an ectopic pregnancy so I lost my right fallopian tube. The doctor who did the operation told me that I would not be able to have children anymore due to the lost tube and the other tube is damaged. Can you please give me an answer? Will I still be ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now