Q. Other than pregnancy, what are the common reasons for delayed periods?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am a 24-year-old female with a height of 5.2 feet. I am unmarried. My periods are delayed for five days, but the pregnancy test is negative.

It is the first time I have had this issue and I am not under any medication. Please help me.

#

I can fully understand your problem and will definitely help you. The delay in periods can be due to multiple reasons.

First of all, if you do not have any history of irregular periods and you are sexually active, pregnancy can be a possible cause. You have already tested once, but sometimes it may be too early to do the test, or it may not be appropriately tested. So you can wait for three to four days and repeat the pregnancy test with the first urine of the day to get accurate results. Another way is to do a blood hCG test which is more accurate and can be done in any nearby diagnostic center.

The second reason for the delay can be polycystic cystic ovarian disease (PCOD).

The third reason can be stress, and nearly 25 % of females worldwide suffer from delayed periods due to stress.

As you have said, you are not under any medication, so we can rule out that, but if you have started with any intense workouts recently, it can also be a reason.

So please share additional information regarding your health condition and sexual activity to enable me to help you better. Do not worry. I am always there for you. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

God bless.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am sexually active, but it is not the reason and also went to the gym for a few days last month. I have taken Azithromycin medicine to treat my cold for two to three days. Can you please suggest any medicine immediately because I have to go out next week. Thank you.

#

Though your pregnancy test is negative, I still request you to retake the pregnancy test. Taking medicine for delaying periods and inducing the onset of periods may cause complications. There are cases of contraceptive failure, and assuming that there is no risk of pregnancy may not be correct unless you have not had intercourse since your last period. Gym workouts are fine, and if it would have been a strenuous exercise, it can delay your period. Azithromycin does not affect periods.

If you have not had any intercourse since your last period, I suggest you,

• Tablet Deviry (Medroxyprogesterone Acetate) -10 mg for five days orally for the onset of periods.

Take care and do not worry. I am always there for you.

God bless.

|