Q. Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Dr. Richa Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear Doctor,

• I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene).
  • Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only once the egg ruptured, but I did not conceive.
  • From december onwards the follicles are not maturing upto required level.
  • Again during February and March my doctor put me on K-35 as my periods during past 1 year were not regular and still are irregular (I have to take tablet Norgest thrice daily for 5 days and then periods come).
  • Recently I have consulted another doctor, she has prescribed me to stop taking Metformin and instead to start on APCOD sachet (Myo-inositol) and Safegest D (dehydroepiandrosterone) and during periods Adova (Anastrozole).

But I have not yet started the medicines. I am a bit confused, whether should I totally stop Metformin and start with these new drugs?

#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

Metformin is a very effective medicine in PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) treatment.

It reduces weight, increases sensitivity to insulin and decreases androgen level.

All these effects are helpful in the treatment of PCOD.

But as you say it is not effective in your case; you can start these above mentioned medications instead of metformin.

But use of myo-inositol in PCOD is not very clear.

You should consult an expert gynaecologist for your treatment. If you have further questions, feel free to ask an obstetrician and gynaecologist online. --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|