I am a 20-year-old female, and I had bleeding for 5 minutes three times in the last six months, but I have not got my period for the last six months. Kindly help.

Q. What could be the reason for delayed periods in a 20-year-old female?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am a 20-year-old female, I bled for 5 minutes only 3 times in the last six months and have not got my period for the last six months. What could be the reason?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern. Exclude pregnancy by having a blood test for serum beta hCG. It seems that your high BMI and weight are causing hormonal imbalance and that is affecting your periods too much. Due to increase weight reproductive hormones get disturbed and unable to give proper results as they should. Have a healthy diet with less salt, sugar oil, and spice, and have food that mostly contains fruits, vegetables, and plenty of water. Get rid of junk food and recreational drugs if have been using them as it reduces fertility and causes congenital anomalies in the fetus.

1. Have a daily walk, exercise, do yoga, and swim to have a normal BMI and weight. You can consult a dietitian to have proper dieting.
  2. Have tablet Norethisterone 10 mg twice daily from day 4 of periods till day 26 of every cycle for a total of 3 cycles to regulate cycles.
  3. Have transvaginal scan outside periods days as I hope periods will be regular with medications.
  4. On day 2 of periods have blood tests (serum progesterone, testosterone, prolactin, insulin, FSH, and thyroid function test).
  5. Collect all laboratory reports and discuss them here.
  6. It is better to have a normal BMI to prevent risks of complicated pregnancy and delivery.
  7. Have sex in the fertile period of the cycle
  8. Have 5 mg folic acid tablet daily.
  9. In the case of early pregnancy, you might need hormonal support to maintain pregnancy due to hormonal imbalance.
  10. Blood thinning medications like aspirin and heparin (to reduce the risk of clot formation) are required from early pregnancy in case.
  11. You need to report to the tertiary care emergency unit to help, investigate and treat you as an emergency in case of bleeding, abdominal pain, or a positive pregnancy test.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|