Q. What is the reason for delayed periods after having protected sex?

Published on Apr 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

We had sexual intercourse using a condom, but my fiance's period has been delayed by five days. We did a pregnancy test, which was negative. What is the reason for delayed periods?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? Pregnancy need not be the only reason for no periods.

If you have used proper protection and the urine test for pregnancy is negative, then you do not have to worry about pregnancy.

Any young lady will take about 19 to 21 years of age to have a mature brain-ovary hormone axis, so till then, once in a while, you may miss your periods. Next month it will be fine.

• Is there any recent sudden increase or decrease in body weight? Or any episode of significant mental or physical stress or anxiety, happiness, depression? Any recent history of hormone use to alter periods?
  • Get a thyroid profile and serum prolactin level checked, if abnormal, it needs correction to have ovulation on time.

As you have ruled out pregnancy, I suggest taking any of the oral birth control pills, contraceptive pills, or 21 pills packet like tablet Novelon, Dear 21, Ovral G, Duoluton L, or Intimacy plus 3. Take one tablet twice a day for ten days and throw away the 21st pill, no matter what the cause is, she will get her periods within 7 to 10 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am in my 30s and I have PCOS and a high prolactin level. Can I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old female. I have PCOS, high prolactin level, my TSH is 4.26 for which I am taking medicine and for prolactin and my AMH is 17. I got pregnant with twins when I was taking 100 mg of Clomid but there was no heartbeat by week 10. I had a few miscarriages two years ago a...  Read Full »

I have spotting while on Tri-Sprintec. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking the birth control pill, Tri-Sprintec for almost five years now. I started my new pack of pills on 19 of last month. I had intercourse twice on 20th and once on the 21st of last month. I used to take my pill between 7 and 8 AM. One day I had pill at 6:30 AM as I woke up ...  Read Full »

Accidentally, had birth control pill during pregnancy. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my last period on the 1st of last month. Two days back, I used birth control pills. But, I am 2 weeks pregnant now. Will it cause any side effect?  Read Full »