Q. Suffering from hallucination. What should be done?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2021

My grandma is now 73 years old. She is suffering from hallucination. She sees my grandpa who expired 5 years back. We had consulted a doctor, but he gave only pills. What to do?

#

Thanks for posting your query at icliniq.

The causes of hallucination at age of 73 ranges from functional disorders to organic disorders. The most common causes are:

1. Dementia disorders.
  2. Delirium.
  3. Late onset psychosis.
  4. Dissociative disorders.
  5. Depression.
  6. Many others.

Before she can be helped by either counselling or drugs, the exact cause need to be determined. I also request you to get her lab reports of these tests if not already done.

1. Thyroid profile.
  2. Vitamin B12 level.
  3. Vitamin D3 level.
  4. Serum folic acid level.
  5. Renal Function Test.
  6. Liver function test.
  7. Neuroimaging preferably MRI brain.

After these things, I request you to post in detail about the clinical picture of your grandma to a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|