Q. Suffering from hallucination. What should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2021

Hello doctor,

My grandma is now 73 years old. She is suffering from hallucination. She sees my grandpa who expired 5 years back. We had consulted a doctor, but he gave only pills. What to do?



Thanks for posting your query at icliniq.

The causes of hallucination at age of 73 ranges from functional disorders to organic disorders. The most common causes are:

  1. Dementia disorders.
  2. Delirium.
  3. Late onset psychosis.
  4. Dissociative disorders.
  5. Depression.
  6. Many others.

Before she can be helped by either counselling or drugs, the exact cause need to be determined. I also request you to get her lab reports of these tests if not already done.

  1. Thyroid profile.
  2. Vitamin B12 level.
  3. Vitamin D3 level.
  4. Serum folic acid level.
  5. Renal Function Test.
  6. Liver function test.
  7. Neuroimaging preferably MRI brain.

After these things, I request you to post in detail about the clinical picture of your grandma to a psychologist counsellor online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Kindly explain whether my disease is delusion disorder or paranoid schizophrenia.

Earlier than that, I used to suffer from severe anxiety ... Anxiety disorder ...   Read full

Are confusion and hallucination due to recently started Pacitane?

.. is known to cause hallucinations as an adverse effect. For this reason, it is important to start at a low dose (1 mg) and increase slowly. So, it is necessary to reduce the dose to 1 mg and increase the dose after five days to 2 mg. For more inf...   Read full

Why does my MIL have hallucinations after taking osteoporosis medicines?

.. the concern. According to the details given, your mother in law has symptoms of depression due to various stress factors. I recommend having a psychiatrist consultation in person or a video consultation so that a detailed evaluation can be done an...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Managing Diabetes During Festive Season
All the festivals are indirectly a danger sign for diabetic patients. Read this article to know more about how to handle...  Read more»
What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.