Q. What to do next if one is tested positive for dengue?

Dr. Girish C Kamat
Published on Sep 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

A relative of mine is admitted to a local hospital and tested positive for dengue. His platelet count was checked thrice. The first time they checked it was yesterday afternoon, and the count was 83,000. The second time they tested him yesterday evening and the count was 81,000. The third test was done today morning and the result was 79,000. The clinical assistants said they are not able to ensure an increase in the platelet count. We are too tensed. Meanwhile, the WBC has steadily increased from 3600 to 5400. Please tell me what we can expect? Is it serious? The patient is active, walking, talking, and eating fine. He only has joint pains and rashes.

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Hematology Internal Medicine
#

Fever with body ache is one of the typical symptoms of dengue fever.

• There is absolutely no need to worry as long as the platelet count is more than 20,000/cmm. Only if this threshold is crossed, there is a risk of bleeding. Even in such situations, there is an option of giving donated platelet transfusions.
  • There is no need to do a platelet count so frequently. If you count once a day, that is enough.
  • Give him plenty of fluids and Paracetamol if there is fever or body ache.

Do not get worried about the present situation.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

Though dengue is negative, platelet count is going down with fever. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97...  Read Full »

What is the safe platelet count for surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 73 year old male and scheduled for a co-surgery. Da Vinci prostatectomy for PC and double hernia repair with patches. My platelet count is 92 x 10^3 per microliter. I have had this for over 17 years. I had a bone marrow biopsy before 16 years and also, had a recent one before 3 y...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now