What is the treatment followed for dengue and typhoid?

Q. How to recover from dengue and typhoid?

Answered by
Dr. Ruth Debine D. Agustin
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2023

Hi doctor,

My friend is suffering from dengue and typhoid. The test for dengue showed a positive result, and typhoid titer is 1:360. Initially, he was treated with Ceftriaxone injection BD and Paracetomal for five days. But the symptoms got worse. His platelets suddenly got reduced to 21000 platelets per microliter of blood with petechiae and bluish lips. His SGOT, SGPT, and GGT are elevated. He has vomiting and diarrhea. Now, he is treated with fluid replacement, Doxycycline, Paracetomal, and tablet Ursocol.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your friend appears to have severe dengue. Kindly do blood cultures for typhoid fever. Blood culture helps us to identify the presence of salmonella, and it guides the choice of antibiotic therapy. The petechiae can occur due to low platelet count. The bluish lips or cyanosis should be evaluated further. You have to do chest X-ray and arterial blood gas test soon. I suggest you do an holo-abdominal ultrasound and a plain abdominal X-ray. Elevation in liver function tests are seen in dengue or typhoid, and the liver can be enlarged in dengue. But intestinal perforation is the catastrophic complication of typhoid fever. I would recommend aggressive fluid resuscitation. If there is any sign of severe bleeding or unstable vital signs, a blood transfusion can be given with fresh whole blood or fresh packed red blood cells. Ceftriaxone always works well for typhoid fever. Identifying the complication is essential. I hope this helps. Thank you and take care. Regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Are malaria and typhoid vaccines safe for a 9 month old baby?

Hi doctor,I am just wondering what is abutting and abutment of the nerve root means in a back issue. Please explain. What treatment is required for annular bulging and tear?   Read full

I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?

Hi doctor,I am just wondering what is abutting and abutment of the nerve root means in a back issue. Please explain. What treatment is required for annular bulging and tear?   Read full

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered

.. self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness which has taken a huge toll on the public health around the world with over 390 million infections per year. So, there is a need to create awareness and break the myths associated with it.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.