Mosquito Borne Infections

Is it safe for my child to travel if she just recovered from dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9 year old daughter suffered from dengue. Her platelet count is 1,95,000. We are going for a family function away from our home town. The journey is about nine hours by train. She does not have a fever or any other symptoms. Is she fit to travel?  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get her examined thoroughly from the treating doctor before proceeding with the journey. Make sure you carry all the important and necessary medications with you while traveling. Do not give her any outside food. Protect and prevent her from cross infections...  Read Full »

Please suggest some ayurveda medicine for chikungunya?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom and my 15 year old sister are suffering from chikungunya. Please suggest some ayurveda remedies or medicine for chikungunya. Also, please suggest any preventive medicines as well.  Read Full »

Dr. Santhosh M D

Ayurveda Specialist, Yoga Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We cannot do much things with ayurveda when the condition is acute. But, there are a lot of things that you can do to cure after effects of chikungunya and to prevent it. My advice is to get ayurveda medicines from some recommended and renowned ayurveda pharmacies.   Read Full »

My friend has been asked to go for blood transfusion for dengue. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,My friend has a blood count of 32,000 cells/cu mm. He has been suffering from dengue for four days. He is admitted to a hospital for the same. The doctors are saying to conduct a blood transfusion. I am not sure what that is. Kindly reply.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In dengue infection, the platelets are destroyed and thus cause a low platelet count. It is not advised to transfuse platelets to a patient who has a platelet count of more than 10 thousand. However, if the physician feels there is a need for transfusion, then he shou...  Read Full »

What are the chances of HIV transmission through mosquitoes?

Query: Hello doctor, Regarding the transmission of HIV by mosquitoes, I have following query. I know the virus does not survive in insects, but what if some mosquito bites a very high viral load HIV-infected person and then bites an uninfected person on his wound, who crushes it on his wound. If the abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It is good that you have an interest in HIV transmission.If there had been HIV transmission from mosquito bites, you could have imagined the situation on our planet earth. Unlike other mosquito-borne diseases, HIV is unable to replicate in the gut of the mosquito, so it's ...  Read Full »

I developed flat pink dots on my chest. Is it due to a weekend of heavy drinking?

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently developed flat pink dots on my chest that do not hurt nor itch. I have attached a photo of the same. They came after a heavy weekend of drinking, and probably the worst hangover I have ever had. The night before the hangover, I had my shirt off for some good time and wa...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which you have posted. You have acute onset maculopapular rash, with no other associated symptom like fever, cough, body aches, etc. Any maculopapular rash in adults with no above men...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures of elephantiasis?

Query: Hi doctor, Two of my neighbors are infected with elephantiasis. I am afraid as mosquitos are frequent in our area. Please suggest me the measures of prevention.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Filariasis is transmitted by culex mosquito. So, I appreciate your knowledge that you know filariasis transmitted by mosquito bite. The most efficient first step for prevention is to avoid mosquito bites by using personal protection measures. Use skin cream available fo...  Read Full »

Why are not my wounds healing soon?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a traveler. Recently, I noticed that any of my cuts were taking a very long time to heal and are never fully recovering. They are leaving a small scar or discoloration. Initially, I thought that the cut did not heal as I was in the water every day for a few hours. Insect bites are t...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cut seems to be healed now as most of it show scarring. Other than that, the marks appear from scratching the skin might be due to irritation. Also, the bite is clearly visible and does not look serious. Certain mosquitoes are more notorious for causing itching over ...  Read Full »