Q. What are the ways to increase platelet count in a dengue patient?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Aug 18, 2019

My friend has been diagnosed with dengue fever since last week evening. His platelets were 1,35,000 five days back, then decreased a day later to 1,17,0000. Then next day night he was admitted in hospital because his platelets reduce again and count was 80,000. After admitting, his platelets are still reducing. Next day evening was 66,000 and today morning is 60,000. But he is feeling well as compared to starting days. Right now he has very low fever, no headache.

We are very worried about platelets count. How we can increase and why still platelets count are decreasing after admitting him? The doctor is giving only Paracetamol saline. No medicine. Could you please suggest what we need to do or it will recover soon? He is taking 5 litre water daily and fruits apple, kiwi.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

Firstly, admitting the patient will not lead to an improvement in platelet count. The patient will be advised admission when the platelet counts are low because of the risk associated with bleeding due to low platelet count.

Secondly, initially, there will be high-grade fevers then as the fever comes down that is called defervescence the viral load comes down and destruction of platelets comes down and platelet levels initially get stabilized and then gradually improves. Third, there is no medicine that can actually directly improve platelet count.

Fourth, the only thing we should understand is to maintain good hydration and for symptomatic relief, we give saline for hydration and Paracetamol for fever and body pains relief. Fifth, to what level platelets go down and then start improving varies between patients that depends upon one's individual immunity status. So to boost immunity and catabolic state we need to provide nutritious food, fruits and maintain good hydration.

What to do next if one is tested positive for dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, A relative of mine is admitted to a local hospital and tested positive for dengue. His platelet count was checked thrice. The first time they checked it was yesterday afternoon, and the count was 83,000. The second time they tested him yesterday evening and the count was 81,000. The th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Girish C Kamat
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with body ache is one of the typical symptoms of dengue fever. There is absolutely no need to worry as long as the platelet count is more than 20,000/cmm. Only if this threshold is crossed, there is a risk of bleeding. Even in such situations, there is an optio...  Read Full

Dengue Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Article Overview: Dengue Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention Read Article

Dr. Aatm Prakash Gauraha
General Medicine Physician

Dengue fever is an infectious disease caused by dengue virus and is transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. Symptoms appear in 4-12 days of infective mosquito bite. It can sometimes have lethal complications like hemorrhagic fever. It is more common in tropical areas like Asia. Causes:  It...  Read Article

I have dengue from three days. When should I go to the hospital?

Query: Hi doctor, I have dengue from the last three days. The platelets have dropped from 197 to 129 today. I have the following questions: My fever fluctuates between 101 to 104 despite having Paracetamol. Is that normal? Also, when should I get admitted to the hospital? When does the body start pro...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever can prevail from three to seven days and after that, there is no fever and that no-fever period is more important and can be critical. You need to keep a follow-up with your treating physician until it is all over and you recover fully. The fluctuating fever is p...  Read Full