Q. I have dengue from three days. When should I go to the hospital?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on May 17, 2018

I have dengue from the last three days. The platelets have dropped from 197 to 129 today. I have the following questions: My fever fluctuates between 101 to 104 despite having Paracetamol. Is that normal? Also, when should I get admitted to the hospital? When does the body start producing or rising its platelets? I feel the very reason we do fluids therapy is for the body to do it on its own. Correct me if I am wrong. Any help will be much appreciated.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Fever can prevail from three to seven days and after that, there is no fever and that no-fever period is more important and can be critical. You need to keep a follow-up with your treating physician until it is all over and you recover fully. The fluctuating fever is part of dengue and is the natural course of the disease. Do not worry about that and keep taking medications as prescribed.
  • Do not take any medications on your own. Even a simple looking Aspirin or Ibuprofen (Brufen) can have very serious side effects if taken in dengue. Take Paracetamol at the exact time your physician told you to take. If you ever feel a change in stool color, abdominal pain or cramps, change of urine color, etc. talk to your doctor immediately. This can be due to a dangerous bleeding inside the body. After a patient recovers fully, and dengue is no more, still, we have to be careful for at least two days for any bleeding symptoms.
  • If you can, I would recommend you go to a hospital right away to get a thorough evaluation and if needed they may admit you too and there are a lot of different criteria for admitting a dengue patient to the hospital. If you fall in any of those criteria they would discuss the admission protocol being practiced at the location.
  • Keep yourself hydrated as there is a lot of significance in dengue. This is a disease that can cause dehydration very easily. So you need to keep the system working at an optimal level. This is called hemostasis, and fluid and electrolyte balance.
  • The platelet counts start going up on its own when body's defense kicks in fully and defeats the disease. And different people get this happen at different times.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more if you need further assistance.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the cause for low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, God blessed me with a baby boy before three months. This is my second child. I faced many problems such as diabetes, before two years back. I had low platelet counts before six months when I took a test for CBC. Three days before delivery, my platelet count was 44000 per microliter of bl...  Read Full »

Dengue Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Article Overview: Dengue Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention Read Article

Dr. Aatm Prakash Gauraha
General Medicine Physician

Dengue fever is an infectious disease caused by dengue virus and is transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. Symptoms appear in 4-12 days of infective mosquito bite. It can sometimes have lethal complications like hemorrhagic fever. It is more common in tropical areas like Asia. Causes:  It...  Read Article

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered

Article Overview: Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness which has taken a huge toll on the public health around the world with over 390 million infections per year. So, there is a need to create awareness and break the myths associated with it. Various rumors and false treatment claims are frequently being shared on the social media sites, which do more harm than good. Read Article

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

1. What is dengue fever? It is a mosquito-borne viral illness which belongs to flavivirus genus. It is usually a self-limiting disease which may manifest as asymptomatic (without any symptoms) to severe dengue. 2. Can dengue fever recur? Dengue fever has got four serotypes DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3, an...  Read Article