Q. How to improve the platelet count in dengue infection?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

My daughter is 8 years old. She has been suffering from fever for five days. Her fever is in the range of 99 to 102 degrees. When we visited a doctor, he asked for a blood test. The blood report shows that she is positive for dengue. The platelet count has dropped already to 52000 from 1,40,000. Please advise us what to do further?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through the data you have posted.

Low platelet count occurs in almost 70% of people with dengue fever. Normally, in case of disease the platelet count may go low for four to five days and then starts rising.

Low platelet count (<100000) has risk of bleeding like bleeding from nose, blood in stools, which will be even more when count drops below 20000.

So, only when platelets less than 10,000 we may offer platelet transfusions as they have a risk of anaphylaxis reactions.

We need to do observe for any bleeding manifestations. If bleeding starts, then we need to give platelet transfusions irrespective of platelet count.

Kindly upload the complete blood reports that will give us the clue whether platelets may improve or it will take time.

You can do IPF (immature platelet fraction) which also can tell prognosis.

So as for now, there is no specific therapy for low platelet count except some studies showed eating papaya fruit and leaf extract showed an increasing trend. As there is no harm, you can give papaya fruit juice or kiwi fruit.

Revert back with the blood report to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered

Article Overview: Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness which has taken a huge toll on the public health around the world with over 390 million infections per year. So, there is a need to create awareness and break the myths associated with it. Various rumors and false treatment claims are frequently being shared on the social media sites, which do more harm than good. Read Article

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

1. What is dengue fever? It is a mosquito-borne viral illness which belongs to flavivirus genus. It is usually a self-limiting disease which may manifest as asymptomatic (without any symptoms) to severe dengue. 2. Can dengue fever recur? Dengue fever has got four serotypes DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3, an...  Read Article

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How reliable were those blood tests? If those were reliable, then there is no need to worry for bleeding from two sites.¬†Otherwise, repeat it from a good place. Secondly, just start any birth control pill from today as it will lessen the bleeding. I suggest Laxit plus...  Read Full

My mother is suffering from platelet disorder. What to do further?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from platelet disorder from the last one month. She had nearly about 58 units of platelet transfusion, but still her platelet count is not up to the mark. What to do further?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count needs to be maintained around 200000, if there is no bleeding. As I am not sure about the platelet count and the cause of your mother, if this is maintained then it is adequate. Multiple platelet transfusions c...  Read Full