Q. Why is my son getting a fever during the recovery phase of dengue?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

I have a 5 year old son, who is 16.5 kg. He is suffering from dengue since one week, and his platelets count dropped to 62,000. The platelet count increased to 83,000, but the next day, he got a fever of 99.9 F. Why is he getting fever during the recovery phase of dengue? Please advice.

#

• The cause of fever could be low-grade SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) in the recovery phase of dengue. Usually, fever lasts for 7 to 8 days, and the platelet starts to rise after day five.
  • There are other causes as well, for example, co-infection of malaria, enteric fever, urinary tract infections, HLH (hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis). We need to investigate for all the possible common infections. Monitor his temperature regularly.
  • I suggest you get the following tests done:
  1. Complete blood count with peripheral smear examination with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  2. Blood culture.
  3. Malaria smear.
  4. Widal test.
  5. Urine examination and culture.
  • Review back with reports and details.

Revert with more information to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|