Q. My tooth enamel has become increasingly worn down due to pica. Please advice.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2021

My tooth enamel has worn down a lot in the last few years due to consumption of non-food items. I have heavy wear on my tooth with sensitivity. I have a lot of chips. I need expert advice. What are the procedures that can be done? Every dentist tells me to brush my teeth more and reduce my intake of sugar. I have PICA from birth. My adult tooth have ground down. My braces were removed six years back. I got three fillings in the past due to cracking. Are dentists trained to manage PICA?

#

PICA is a disorder where people eat non-food items with no nutritional value compulsively. For example, they can eat ice (pagophagia), hair (trichophagia), metal (metallophagia), soil (geophagia). Kindly mention more specifically about the things you eat. Kindly upload an image of your tooth with the mouth opening wide and so I can have a clear idea about your condition of the tooth. If you have X-rays, kindly attach them. Generally, full mouth rehabilitation with porcelain fused metal crowns can be used. The crown has a mental beneath the porcelain. If porcelain becomes worn due to extreme food habits, then the metal layer lying beneath it helps in managing the situation. Root canal treatment can be done if required. For now, you can use Sensodyne rapid relief toothpaste. Take tablet Ibuprofen on SOS (save our soul) basis, and tablet Zincovit (multivitamin) one tablet once daily for 15 days. Kindly upload an image to help you further.

You have PICA eating disorder.

Kindly attach the images of the tooth along with X-rays to help you to have further treatment.

|