Q. I have a chipped tooth that is sharp, sensitive and hurts. What to do?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I have recently chipped the top of one of my teeth off, it is quite sharp and hurts when I eat certain things (sugary things it seems). The part that came off was very thin but I am worried my tooth could become more sensitive and more could break off so I would really like to fix this in some way. What is the best way to go about this?

#

The sensitivity is because of the exposure of the second layer of the tooth (dentin). It can be easily cured by using anti-sensitive toothpastes. Replace this toothpaste for night brushing and you will find best results in two weeks. You have also mentioned that the edges of the broken tooth is sharp and hurts you. For this you should visit a nearby dentist where the edges of the tooth will be rounded off to smoothen the surfaces. If the chipped portion is quite big to be replaced, it can be done with tooth coloured resin type filling materials which mimic the natural tooth to 90 %.

| 

What would be an efficient way to cover chipped tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am brushing twice daily and maintaining good oral hygiene. My teeth are deteriorating and chipping. What would be an effective and cheap way to cover chipped front teeth?  Read Full »

Please suggest a way to get instant relief from sensitive teeth.

Query: Hi doctor,I have tooth sensitivity problem. I am suffering from this problem since last two months. I am unable to drink water also. I tried many sensitivity toothpastes, but it does not work properly. Please suggest me a proper drug or suggestion for instant relief.  Read Full »

What is causing my tooth pain - cavity, broken tooth or wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having tooth pain, and I am not sure what the cause is. I do have a cavity on the top row beside my front tooth, but would that affect my bottom teeth too? The pain feels like a dull pressure, so maybe it is the wisdom teeth? I am 18, so I suppose it is possible, but I do not hav...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»