Chipped Tooth

How to manage tooth wear due to pica?

Query: Hi doctor, My tooth enamel has worn down a lot in the last few years due to consumption of non-food items. I have heavy wear on my tooth with sensitivity. I have a lot of chips. I need expert advice. What are the procedures that can be done? Every dentist tells me to brush my teeth more and reduc...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. PICA is a disorder where people eat non-food items with no nutritional value compulsively. For example, they can eat ice (pagophagia), hair (trichophagia), metal (metallophagia), soil (geophagia). Kindly mention more specifically about the things you eat. Kindly upl...  Read Full »

What are the ill effects of overcrowded teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have receding gums around my lower front teeth which are badly overcrowded. My gums do not bleed when I floss or brush, but I feel like they are loose and will fall out. The dentist said that they are fine, but at night I feel like they click. Can you please help me?  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and attached images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It shows that they are crowded. So, brushing is not proper, and as a result, tartar and stains have developed on the tooth. These tartar and stains are responsible f...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get a chipped root canal treated tooth patched?

Query: Hi doctor, After eating popcorn, I felt something weird. I noticed that I had a chipped piece of teeth filling. The nerve of the teeth was taken out and I have a filling going down to the root. Do I need to get it patched up? Kindly go through the attached picture.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query and attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be a minor chip-off. It is caused due to accidental chewing of hard food. You have done root canal treatment and so filling is not required. You need to have a...  Read Full »

What is the best way to treat my chipped front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am brushing twice daily and maintaining good oral hygiene. My teeth are deteriorating and chipping. What would be an effective and cheap way to cover chipped front teeth?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The lower cost option for repairing front teeth would be composite fillings (tooth colored filling material). It can be done chair-side and in most cases, you can walk out with the tooth repaired in one appointment.But, the composite fillings cannot be one universal solut...  Read Full »

Is it normal for the primary molar to get chipped into pieces?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an experience with a tooth as a child that I have never received an answer. My baby teeth were always kept pretty clean and well taken care of but this one incident happened where one tooth literally disintegrated in a matter of seconds. I was sucking on a sucker and noticed tha...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. When did it happen (at what age)? How many molars? Any history of bottle feeding? Diet history? History of dental checkups and dental treatments had during that period? More history of the details would hel...  Read Full »

Could swollen gums surrounding broken molar tooth indicate infection?

Query: Hello doctor, Ten years ago, I had a molar break nearly in half. At that time, I tried to do the correct thing. I went to a clinic and had a temporary filling. I switched jobs within a few months, acquired actual dental insurance and went to a clinic. I got my teeth cleaned, a couple of fillings an...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to show to a dentist itself as the teeth is broken and only a quarter of actual size should be removed. The tooth next to this which has cavity should also be filled or maybe would require root canal treatment. You can delay the crown placement if you do not...  Read Full »

I have chipped tooth without any symptoms. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I chipped my molar, but am just making sure that it is just a small chip. The molar was already calcified and has been sealed as a result of that. There is no sensitivity, pain, or any symptoms. Wondering if I would get it sealed again or just something to be cautious about....  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Nassar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I checked the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The broken part seems to be a small part in the enamel layer, you do not have any pain or symptoms, so I believe this tooth is fine and it can be restored with composite filling to prevent any cavi...  Read Full »

What is the treatment available for chipped tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I chipped my front tooth two days ago. I saved the broken tooth piece in a cup of milk in the refrigerator. The piece is fairly small (bottom corner chipped off). What are my options to get my tooth fixed? It does not hurt but it is a little sharp to the touch.   Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is good that you saved the part of the tooth. But actually little chipped off part of the tooth cannot be reattached to the tooth by any means. But if whole tooth and its root somehow got knocked out of socket while you fell down or so and that tooth is kept immediat...  Read Full »

Why do my teeth break after biting something hard?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem. My teeth are brittle because if I eat something hard they sometimes break or I would feel a hole developing and this is stressing me out because I have already taken out three of them and now another one is close to being totaled. Earlier today I ate something and I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There must be one of a few reasons for this chipping off of teeth rapidly. You might have calcium and vitamin D deficiency. To rule out this, you can get serum vitamin D laboratory test done. If there is deficiency then I recommend you medicines for it. Another reason ...  Read Full »

My chipped tooth is sharp, sensitive and hurts. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have recently chipped the top of one of my teeth off, it is quite sharp and hurts when I eat certain things (sugary things it seems). The part that came off was very thin but I am worried my tooth could become more sensitive and more could break off so I would really like to fix thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The sensitivity is because of the exposure of the second layer of the tooth (dentin). It can be easily cured by using anti-sensitive toothpastes. Replace this toothpaste for night brushing and you will find best results in two weeks. You have also mentioned that the edg...  Read Full »