Q. I am taking tablet Levera. I am getting dizziness. Is it due to the tablet?

Dr. Ajay Panwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 25, 2018

Two years back, I had a left PICA Aneurysm (Posterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery), for which it was coiled. Since then, I am taking tablet Levipil. Right now, I am taking tablet Levera XR 750 mg once daily. Sometimes, when I sit for a long time that too only when I use the Indian style toilet and sit for a long time like 15 minutes, I feel dizziness as if I was going to fall. This feeling will be there only for about 5 seconds, and after that, I will be normal. When I go out in the sun and come back, I feel the same. Is it due to the tablet or any other reason? I am very much worried about that.

#

Dizziness that you are having is a very normal phenomenon, which occurs in a large number of normal individuals. It may happen while standing from sitting position, because of a relatively low cerebral perfusion (blood supply to the brain) for a few seconds. It is during these few seconds when autonomic nervous system adapts itself to bring the cerebral perfusion pressure to normal. It is in those few seconds that such a feeling of dizziness occurs.

Coming from sunlight to indoor may cause a similar physiological phenomenon and hence the dizziness. So, keep yourself hydrated well. Drink at least 3 to 4 liters of fluids per day, and these symptoms should improve. Clinically, tablet Levera (Levetiracetam) does not cause such effects. It is just a theoretically listed side effect, but not observed clinically. This tablet is not causing it. This is the safest antiepileptic drug. Please do not worry and continue the same treatment. It is a normal phenomenon.

Thank you doctor for your advice.

But if the symptoms do not improve, is it normal? Because I have been having these symptoms from the past two years.

#

As I have already mentioned, that it is a normal phenomenon. Take adequate fluids, and these symptoms should improve. Be hopeful and do not worry as it is not a disease.

|