Q. I am 33 weeks pregnant and suffering from dental abscess. Kindly help.

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jun 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2019

I have a dental abscess, and I am 33 weeks pregnant. It is so painful that I cannot eat, sleep, drink, or do anything. My dentist cannot do anything about it until next month. I was wondering if the emergency room can do something about it.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

You could ask your dentist or go to the emergency room to prescribe Antibiotics like Augmentin 625 mg thrice a day for five days along with Tylenol (paracetamol). This will help in pain relief and then go to the dentist to get the tooth extracted. Do not delay, as the pain and infection will affect your baby's growth as you would be avoiding normal diet and infection would not allow nutrition to pass onto your baby. It is okay to take during pregnancy if so much infection and pain are there.

| 

Loose Tooth: Causes, Prevention, and Treatment

Article Overview: A loose tooth is a common complaint in the middle-aged and elderly population. The most important cause of this being periodontitis. This article emphasizes the causes, prevention, and treatment of loose tooth. Read Article

It is quite disturbing to have a loose tooth in your mouth which almost always hinders with your normal food habits and sometimes causes pain. The common cause for a loose tooth is periodontitis (infection of the supporting structures of the teeth), which arises from poor oral hygiene. A loose tooth...  Read Article

Is removing wisdom teeth while pregnant advisable?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an impacted wisdom tooth, which is horizontal and I just saw that it had been severely decayed. I have been reading about it lately. Is it safe to go for an extraction?  Read Full »

I have severe pain due to abscess in cracked tooth. What has to be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cracked tooth that developed an abscess under it. It took two weeks to wait for the endodontist appointment, so I started taking an antibiotic when the abscess started to grow. Finally had my appointment today and the endodontist is keeping me on the antibiotic one more week, ...  Read Full »