Q. I am pregnant and have an impacted wisdom tooth. Is it safe to go for an extraction?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I have an impacted wisdom tooth, which is horizontal and I just saw that it had been severely decayed. I have been reading about it lately. Is it safe to go for an extraction?

#

• First of all, your impacted wisdom tooth has to be checked with an x-ray at a dental hospital. This helps to figure out in what angulation is the tooth impacted. You are already aware that it is horizontally impacted.
  • You have also mentioned that the tooth is badly decayed. Hence, I advise you to go for extraction straight away.
  • It is always safe to get rid of the problematic tooth, especially with decay. Because sometimes if you were unlucky, the decay might spread onto the adjacent tooth because of the angulation. And, there are high chances of food particles to get clogged between the gums and tooth.
  • Also, wisdom tooth is an extra tooth, which does not help in efficient chewing in most of the cases. Hence, pulling out the tooth does not harm you in any way.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

My only concern is that I am 7 weeks pregnant. I am anxious now.

#

• Good that you have given me your pregnancy status. Because you are 7 weeks pregnant, it is not the right time for pulling out the tooth.
  • You got to wait till the third month to start because 3 to 6 month is the safest period to undergo a dental procedure. If an x-ray is taken, kindly make sure you are protected with a lead apron during the exposure.
  • Even if you have pain in that tooth, it is highly recommended to wait for the safe period. Meanwhile, you can take mild painkillers like tablet Paracetamol 500 mg to get rid of the pain.
  • If there are no emergencies, then there is no harm in waiting until you deliver your baby. But make sure you maintain excellent oral hygiene to prevent food clogging as I have already mentioned.
  • The scenario changes because your baby's health is much important now.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Your suggestions are appreciable. I just spoke to my gynecologist and she said that I cannot get any treatment until six months. There is no pain in the tooth, except the intense pressure in the other normal teeth, which lead me to check. I am attaching a picture of the teeth. The walls are not decayed, but the tip of the horizontal wisdom tooth is black.

#

I saw the pictures you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks pretty bad. The decay seems smaller, but it has a huge cavity deep down.
  • Lucky that you have zero pain. Probably, the tooth is dead. You will create problems when food gets stuck into the cavity.
  • Hence, I advise you to take time and do proper brushing and flossing. Do not use toothpicks if you feel that some food is clogged. Instead use interdental brushes. It is available in various sizes and uses it to remove the food stuck.
  • As I have already mentioned, your second trimester that is, 3 to 6 months is really safe to undergo the procedure. But,  the dentist can purposely delay until your delivery if he or she finds the method to be a difficult one, which might give you a post-treatment swelling. Maybe that is why your gynecologist has told that nothing can be done now.
  • I advise you to follow my instructions and delay procedure until delivery. This would be the best option to go with.

One last concern, is there any way my dentist will ask me to fill this cavity? Should I consult my gynecologist before getting my cavity filled up? Is it safe during pregnancy?

#

• Your tooth seems no way to get a filling done as it is grossly decayed. The only option is to pull the tooth out of the socket.
  • Filling the tooth, even a temporary one, can actually worsen the situation and hurt the gums badly.
  • Your gynaecologist concern is very important for any of your dental procedures. Hence, I advise you to relax and feel happy since the tooth is painless.

|