Q. I am allergic to Flagyl. Is there any alternative?

Dr. Paras Angrish
Published on Oct 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have a dental abscess from an impacted wisdom tooth. The abscess has occurred on three occasions before. The x-ray showed an impacted bottom wisdom tooth that is, partial bony horizontal impacted third molar. The pain is sharp and radiating towards the front teeth and some pain behind the ear. Currently, I am on a regimen of Augmentin 625 mg twice daily for five days and Ibuprofen 400 mg. My dentist recommended Flagyl, but I am allergic to it. I am getting nausea and hives throughout treatment. Is there an alternative for it?

Dr. Paras Angrish

Dentistry Paediatric Dentistry
#

• A wisdom tooth infection is not an infection of the tooth, but an infection of the gum around the tooth.
  • Infection in wisdom tooth is very common if it is not coming out correctly in the mouth. The first thing most people notice is that the gum is a bit sore over the wisdom tooth. It feels like they bit on something hard and grazed the gum a bit. They usually do not take much notice at this early stage.
  • The next sign of wisdom teeth infection is a swollen gum. The gum around the tooth becomes puffy and starts to swell up. Sometimes only a little, but other times a lot.
  • The gum will also get quite red and inflamed, although this can be hard to see. If you have swollen gums with pus, we give antibiotics.
  • An alternative to Metronidazole is Clindamycin 300 mg three times a day after food. If the problem is not so severe, then Amoxicillin is enough to take care of the problem.
  • To prevent any complications regarding antibiotics, keep yourself hydrated as much as you can during the medicine course and add curd in your diet. It will help to avoid stomach problem as yoghurt had lactobacillus in it and helps in preventing stomach irritation.
  • Also, do warm saline rinses as much as you can. If this problem is reoccurring, then the tooth needs to be pulled out.

Wisdom tooth.

Pericoronitis.

Extraction of the offending tooth after infection subside.

Keep the wisdom tooth area clean. Do warm saline rinses as much you can.

For further information consult a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Which acne cream is causing dry, flaky skin around eyes and burns on cheek?

Query: Hi doctor,Recently I have been prescribed Tretinoin 0.25 cream and Benzaclin gel for my mild acne but ever since I started I have been getting dry and flaky skin around my eyes and mouth and burns on my cheek. Which cream is causing this? And how do I continue using them, if so?  Read Full »

Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.  Read Full »

Is there a chance for cyst formation beneath the impacted tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I had a baby tooth in the left lower jaw. Beneath it, there is an impacted first permanent premolar tooth. OPG and CBCT were taken. The baby tooth was extracted before a month, and the impacted tooth was exposed. As I had some misalignment in both the jaws, I con...  Read Full »