Q. Is it necessary to get treated for dental abscess without pain?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Should I go to the emergency room if I have a dental abscess but no pain?

#

I have gone through your query and I can understand your concern during these prevailing situation. If you do not have any problem going to the dental office I suggest you bring your appointment closer. Get in contact with your dentist. But if you do not wish to visit a dentist during these situations, you can do as:

1. See if the pus is discharging/oozing out from gum. If yes, then let it drain completely by applying little pressure and cleaning with a swab.

2. If the pus is not draining, and there is a good lump of swollen white gum, you can pin (sterilized) puncture it and relieve yourself of pain (if any) and pressure to the tooth.

3. If the swelling is not that great and is not obliterating, then you can have only medications to bring the infection down.

4. If you do not have any medical history with the below said medications, you can have them as:

a) Antibiotics, twice daily for 3 days. b) Analgesics with anti-inflammatory additive only if and when required (if you have pain). c) Proton Pump Inhibitors, one before breakfast, if your stomach gets upset with the medication.

This will surely bring relief to your tooth, gums and jaw and will buy you the time till next appointment. But you have to visit Dental Office in order to treat the root cause of the problem. I think the tooth might require a Root Canal but it will be confirmed on oral examination. Follow up after 5 days.

|