Q. Does Flucloxacillin help in case of a dental abscess?

Dr. Asma Parveen
Published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a dental abscess. Will Flucloxacillin help?

#

Firstly, I would like to know if you are sure it is a dental abscess or could it be another tooth infection. I do not know if you have visited a dentist for this problem. Also, if available, forward me your X-ray or any other investigation reports.

1. If it is a dental abscess, you need to start with warm saline rinses at least five to six times a day for a week. Take half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and rinse thorougly.
  2. External ice pack application will help you in case there is a swelling.
  3. Do not sleep on the affected side.

Coming to your question, Flucloxacillin does help in case of a dental abscess, but it is always advisable to visit your dentist for a thorough check up and get treated accordingly. Flucloxacillin 500 mg twice daily for at least three days should help.

Lastly, have you been allergic to any medicines in the past?

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have an abscessed tooth with swollen face. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscessed tooth and have been on antibiotics for three days. I woke up this morning with an extremely swollen face, should I go to the ER?  Read Full »

I am having bleeding for over 24 hours after wisdom tooth removal. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got my wisdom teeth out yesterday and they have been bleeding for over 24 hours. Is this normal?  Read Full »

After wisdom tooth extraction, when can I start eating solid food?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my bottom left wisdom tooth removed yesterday. I am 25 years old and 11 weeks pregnant. I have been eating soft foods like mashed potatoes, jello, and pudding. However, I was wondering when I can begin to eat foods such as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cereals, pasta, etc.  Read Full »