Q. I did not brush my teeth before putting braces. Can it affect the braces?

Dr. Sneha Narendeepak
Published on Aug 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2019

I am not really sick or anything, I just have a quick question. I put on my braces early this morning, but I did not have time to brush my teeth prior to putting them on. The orthodontist did place some chemicals on my teeth and washed it with water before putting the braces on. I am just wondering if not brushing my teeth will affect the stability of the braces.

#

I have read through your concerns.

Brushing your teeth will definitely improve your oral hygiene and reduces the food accumulation and plaque formation in later stages. If you are not comfortable brushing with braces on, I would advice you to opt for piksters or flossing to remove the plaque that is accumulated overnight. Have a lukewarm saline water rinse every morning to flush the debris out.

Why oral hygiene is important is, the plaque can change to hard calculus overtime and definitely disturb the braces and its integrity. So please make sure you inculcate good oral hygiene.

Is it safe to use electric toothbrush than manual toothbrush?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that some days ago, I changed my brush from regular brush to electronic toothbrush. It vibrates and clean teeth. Is it safe for my tooth? Can it harm my tooth if I use it for a long time? Which one is better? Traditional toothbrush or this type of electronic toothbrush?  Read Full »

Will other teeth shift if I get a tooth removed for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whe...  Read Full »

How to Avoid Dental Neglects?

Article Overview: In recent years, most people are aware of or at least have heard of root canal treatment, crowns, bridges, dentures, and dental implants. What they do not realize is that these are treatments for a dental disaster. People go in search of a dentist only if there is a shooting pain. They forget the that there are certain preventive measures to save the tooth. This article reveals the tips and tricks for a better oral hygiene and also discusses the most common dental neglects. Read Article

From childhood, we are taught how to take care of our oral cavity, and it is engraved in our minds. Tooth brushing remains the major pillar in maintaining good oral hygiene. But, is that the only way to prevent dental disasters? Do you think we are neglecting something? The answer is yes. Statistics...  Read Article