Q. I did not brush my teeth before putting braces. Can it affect the braces?

Dr. Sneha Narendeepak
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am not really sick or anything, I just have a quick question. I put on my braces early this morning, but I did not have time to brush my teeth prior to putting them on. The orthodontist did place some chemicals on my teeth and washed it with water before putting the braces on. I am just wondering if not brushing my teeth will affect the stability of the braces.

#

I have read through your concerns.

Brushing your teeth will definitely improve your oral hygiene and reduces the food accumulation and plaque formation in later stages. If you are not comfortable brushing with braces on, I would advice you to opt for piksters or flossing to remove the plaque that is accumulated overnight. Have a lukewarm saline water rinse every morning to flush the debris out.

Why oral hygiene is important is, the plaque can change to hard calculus overtime and definitely disturb the braces and its integrity. So please make sure you inculcate good oral hygiene.

|