Q. My upper molar is close to the sinus. Please provide me an opinion on my X-ray.

Published on Jul 13, 2019

I have an X-ray. I like an ENT to give me their opinion. My dentist thinks that my upper molar area that is close to the sinus may have an issue based on how the x-ray looks.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

There does appear to be a radiolucent shadow in that upper molar area. But we need to correlate the findings with your symptoms. What are your symptoms?

| 

Symptoms include, throbbing headache left side of the head (same side as the upper molar), occasional pain behind the eye (same side as the upper molar), left the side of the body feels weaker than the right. The issue started two years ago where the extracted tooth would bleed while brushing every day. Pain followed on that molar while eating to the point where it was removed.

After extraction, no more pain eating but a throbbing headache and eye pain continued. Foul taste in my mouth and nausea after chewing on the left side. Pain starts immediately after brushing teeth in the morning. Certain sleeping positions will not allow me to sleep.

#

My initial diagnosis is that the extracted tooth has left a gap whereby the food and saliva are entering the respective sinus, the left maxillary antrum. After that, it is causing the multitude of sinonasal symptoms on you. We need to have a dental evaluation done for you. Additionally, an office nasal endoscopy will be helpful to check the condition of sinus Ostia through the nasal cavity. A clear CT scan of nose and sinuses are required to see if the inner lining of any sinus is infected or inflamed or if there is any debris inside the sinuses. Depending on the findings, you may need surgical management if necessary conservative techniques fail.

I would like to know a few more things. Is there any nose block or discharge from nose or decreased sense of smell? Is there any constant or recurrent post nasal drip? Do you have asthma? Are you a diabetic or a hypertensive? Do you take any medications regularly for any purpose? How old are you? What drugs have you tried for these problems? Do you get a fever? Do revert back to me with the details so that we can help you.

| 

I am 37 years old with type 2 diabetics. Left nostril feels blocked with the postnatal drip. No asthma only started getting high bp after the issues began. Medications I am taking are Metformin, Canagliflozin, Gliclazide, Omeprazole, Lisinopril, sinus rinse helps but not enough. I had sinus surgery to straighten my deviated septum that did not help.

Is there any constant or recurrent post nasal drip? Do you have asthma? Are you a diabetic or a hypertensive? Do you take any medications regularly for any purpose? How old are you? What drugs have you tried for these problems? Do you get a fever? Do revert back to me with the details so that we can help you.

#

You will have to get the investigations I told you. That is CT scan, nasal endoscopy, and a dental evaluation. After that, it will be clear how much the disease has affected, and if there is anything else inside the sinuses. You would be temporarily benefitted by steroid nasal sprays, like Fluticasone nasal spray. Occasional exacerbations may be treated aggressively using a course of antibiotics.

| 

Are elastics compulsory to correct overbite?

Query: Hi doctor, I was informed by my dentist that I have a problem with my bite and I use elastics along with my braces. I feel it uncomfortable. I force my teeth to stay how they really are. I have no problem with my jaw and I am very unhappy about the way I look with elastics. My teeth do not fit toget...  Read Full »

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »