Q. What is the treatment for pain that occurs after bone grafting in implant?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I started the process of getting four implants. Last week I went for bone grafting. It has been a living nightmare ever since. I was completely fine, pain-wise, until three days after the grafting. Out of nowhere, I was in excruciating pain. Like deep in the nerve type pain. At that point, it was only my lower right side that was in pain. One of my stitches busted, and the bone grafting material was oozing out. The dentist saw me that evening on an emergency basis and cleaned it up and stitched me back up. Reassured me that my pain would end. He also switched me to a stronger antibiotic.

Well, not only did the pain not go away, my left side started in on the same excruciating pain on the next day. The pain is that sharp, stabbing, throbbing pain that increase with each heartbeat. Worst pain of my life. It seems to be coming from teeth next to where the grafting was done. I should also add that I have a bridge on my lower front four teeth, with teeth as my anchoring teeth.

No one knows where my pain is coming from, so no one knows how to treat me. I am miserable. Have not eaten anything in three days. Talking, drinking, and eating cause immediate, intense throbbing. It feels like nerve pain to me. Similar to the way I have felt in the past when an infection has reached my nerves. I am wondering if something is now touching my nerves in the teeth next to where the grafting was done? I am at a loss and would love to hear what anyone else thinks.

#

Do you have X-rays of teeth that caused you pain? You seem to have an infection either due to bone grafting procedure or abscess of the roots of those anchoring teeth of the bridge. Get an OPG x-ray done to find out more. Continue antibiotics and painkillers. Use warm salt water gargle twice a day for a week or two. Please attach an X-ray for analysis of your problem. You may need root canal treatment. Do not get an implant done until everything clears up.

I do not have a current x-ray of those teeth, unfortunately. I will be going back to my dentist tomorrow and demanding they figure this out. I suspect you are right about it maybe been abscesses on my two supporting bridge teeth. It has to be. So, my follow up question would be assuming those two teeth do need root canals, are root canals able to be done on these crowned teeth that support my bridge? I am not sure how that works since they are crowns and attached to my front bridge. I am sure would have been a lot easier (and cheaper) to lay off the candy and take better care of my teeth growing up.

#

If these teeth need a root canal, it can be done by drilling right through the crown itself or by removing the whole bridge, but it is difficult. Some ceramic may chip off but can be filled at last. Yes, it is always good to prevent cavities on your teeth and to get them filled as soon as possible without extracting them. Once a tooth is removed, then other teeth to follow in few years difference.

|