Q. Got my wisdom teeth out. It is now paining a lot and also have a bad taste in my mouth. Is it due to infection?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 05, 2018

I got my wisdom teeth out two weeks back. It is now paining a lot, and I also have a bad taste in my mouth. Is it due to infection?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

Sadly, Yes! Your history is giving symptoms of post-operative infection. If the pain is sharp just at the socket point, then clean this area thoroughly and start saline water mouth rinses at least 8 times a day for 2 weeks. This is best for the fast healing of the wound. Take a small cup of lukewarm water and add 1/4 th teaspoon of salt in it. I suggest you try using the following:

1. Benzydamine Hydrochloride or Chlorhexidine Gluconate mouthwash 3 times a day for a week.
  2. Analgesic or an anti-inflammatory drug like Flurbiprofen twice a day for 3 days.

If sharp lancinating pain persists even after following these instructions for two days, then it would be better to visit your dentist and ask him to look if you have alveolar osteitis (dry socket) signs. If yes, then he can give you a dressing and thorough wash of the wound.

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »