Q. I have plaque deposits on my teeth. What to do?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2022

I have plaque deposits on my teeth and gums. My gums bleed often, and they are receding. Please help.

#

I have viewed your image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is calculus deposits over your gums.

It occurs when the plaque is not removed properly with brushing, and it starts becoming hard due to calcium deposits over it. It accumulates more and more bacteria due to rough surfaces and increases infection that causes gum recession, inflammation, and bleeding. But, you can improve it.

You should first consult a dentist and get proper scaling of your teeth done. Once your teeth are clean, ask the dentist to demonstrate a proper brushing technique to you so that you can maintain oral hygiene.

I suggest you try doing the following:

1. Chew Vitamin C pellets daily, as it strengthens your gums.
  2. A short course of antibiotics like Metronidazole is also useful.
  3. Do warm saline gargles and antiseptic mouthwash gargles.
  4. Massage the gums with an antiseptic oral ointment like Chlorhexidine.

Please write back if you have more queries. Hope you get better soon. Regards.

|