Q. My teeth are wearing away and roots are exposed. What do I do?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jun 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

• My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards).
  • They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them.
  • Is there anything I can do to slow down the process?
  • Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!!
  • I have not been to the dentist in the last 20 years because I am afraid the first thing that he would do is scrape the area, and the teeth might fall out.

Please help.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The scraping done to the inside area of lower front teeth is necessary to remove calculus deposited at the site. This procedure is called the dental scaling.
  • We definitely have to remove those calculus deposits for longer life of the teeth.
  • Use warm saline gargle or Betadine gargle to reduce the loss of gingiva (gums) in that area.
  • You should do cleaning (scaling) of the area and remove those deposits.
  • Even though it would feel like the teeth have become loose, this procedure actually helps in saving the teeth from further damage.
  • Try doing Root Canal Treatment (RCT) of the lower front teeth as it would help in ankylosis of the teeth to the bone and decrease the mobility.
  • Kindly send a picture of the area so that I can better diagnose the problem.
  • There is also a method to increase the gingival area (gum support) of the teeth by doing periodontal surgery called flap surgery to place some bone forming fragments inside the gingiva and pull gingiva upwards to increase the spread of bone formation around the root of the teeth.

Attach the pictures for further follow up with a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.  Read Full »

After getting my teeth cleaned, why do I still have inflammation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a teeth cleaning done, but the inflammation is still there. The dentist said that I need to get treated for a receding gum line through surgery. She said it was due to brushing hard and asked me to switch to a soft bristle toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste. I am also awaiting ...  Read Full »