Q. Does tooth cleaning procedure remove the enamel away?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 30, 2019

I had a bad habit of chewing pan masala, due to which my teeth turned red and looked bad. I went to the dentist to clean my teeth, what he did is, he took a very fine sharp, toothbrush like driller, and rubbed it over my teeth, that instrument sprinkles some liquid as well. After some time when I licked my teeth with tongue, I can feel the harshness, while at some places it felt like usual, it means he only rubbed those areas which had stains.

When I asked him, will the enamel regrow? He said he had not removed my enamel. Why did he say so? Because I can feel roughness in teeth, the first four incisor teeth on my lower jaw are sensitive, while molars and canines are still fine. I wanted to know if what he said is true? I mean, if he cleaned my teeth without removing the enamel? Is it possible, by the kind of tool he used? Also, list me the precautions and side effects and demerits of teeth whitening. Does enamel regrow?

#

First of all, I would like to say you that, is the right machine which all dentists use to clean the teeth. It is called ultrasonic scaler, and it sprays water and not some other liquid. I saw the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and your teeth seem to be perfectly good after cleaning. This procedure does not remove the enamel, and it cannot regrow as well. Once gone is gone (e.g., during sports fall, accident, etc.).

Sensitivity and roughness are felt as your teeth and gums are getting adapted to the new clean oral environment. You should be probably prescribed with an ointment and toothpaste to massage your gums after. If not, use toothpaste Parodontax 75 g (without fluoride) instead of your regular toothpaste for night brushing only.

This will help your gums heal quickly. In this case, brushing includes massaging your gums in a circular motion as well. Regarding teeth whitening, the major drawback is that you have to keep repeating the procedure every three months to maintain the shade. It is not a one-shot treatment. You are most welcome to ask if you have any more queries.

Why does the back of my tooth feel rough?

Query: Hello doctor, About three weeks ago I noticed the backs of only one of my teeth was rough. It has not gotten worse but it has not gotten any less rough after I brush it. On my third tooth forward from my 13 years old molars.  Read Full »

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »

I am having tooth sensitivity and bad breath. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling sensitivity in my teeth and my mouth smells as well. What should I do?  Read Full »