Is my dental problem curable?

Q. Please clarify if my dental problem is curable.

Answered by
Dr. Johnn Kazimm
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 05, 2023

Hello doctor,

My father is 70 years old. He has some dental problems and there is filled with pus and blood around the teeth. The local dentist checked it, but the treatment does not provide a complete solution. It occurs again and again. Please check the picture and tell me what it is. Is it cancerous? Is it curable? Please guide.



Welcome to

As the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) go, first inadequate frenum mandibular reveals the inadequacy of attached gingiva. Then, two swellings can be seen in the lower region and possibly with pus. Firstly, a thorough scaling followed by deep scaling in that region has to be done. Then, a localized radiograph has to be taken. Then, the root canal treatment of lower teeth has to be performed. But, care has to be taken that these teeth are not mobile. A deep scaling would benefit a lot.

Investigations to be done:

A localized radiograph of that region.

Probable diagnosis:

Inadequate oral hygiene maintenance.

Treatment plan:

Deep scaling and radiograph.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the radiograph to an endodontist online.--->

Thank you, doctor,

But, when there is pus there is a lot of discomfort and also he is having some pain in it. Kindly suggest some toothpaste, gel, or medicine to relieve this pain. And also guide how to use them.



Welcome back to

Start the medication Doxycycline 200 mg once daily for three days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Some stomach upset may occur. If so then discontinue. After medication, apply some Dologel ointment (Choline Salicylate and Lidocaine) on the affected area. Dilute Chlorhexidine mouthwash with some water and gargle once daily. This would help a lot. Your father surely needs oral prophylaxis.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

.. iron oxide, carbon black along with a base of paraffin or mineral oil. As your child had taken it in his mouth and you already have cleaned it. Now there is nothing to worry, you may ask him to gargle with Chlorhexidine mouthwash which will improve the   Read full

Please clarify if my dental problem is curable.

Inadequate oral hygiene maintenance ...  Your father surely needs oral prophylaxis ...   Read full

How to get rid of bad breath? I floss, brush every morning and night, but still suffer from bad breath.

I want to increase my body weight what should I do ?   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.