Q. Please clarify if my dental problem is curable.

Dr. Johnn Kazimm
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

My father is 70 years old. He has some dental problem and that is filled with pus and blood. Local dentist checked it, but the treatment does not provide complete solution. It occurs again and again. Please check the picture and tell me what it is. Is it cancerous? Is it curable? Please guide.

#

• As the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) go, first inadequate frenum mandibular reveals inadequacy of attached gingiva.
  • Then, two swellings can be seen in the lower region and possibly with pus.
  • Firstly, a thorough scaling followed by deep scaling in that region has to be done. Then, a localized radiograph has to be taken.
  • Then, the root canal treatment of lower teeth has to be performed. But, care has to be taken that these teeth are not mobile. A deep scaling would benefit a lot.

A localized radiograph of that region.

Inadequate oral hygiene maintenance.

Deep scaling and radiograph.

Revert back with the radiograph to an endodontist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endodontist

But, when it arrives with pus there was a lot of discomfort and also he is having some pain in it. Kindly suggest some toothpaste, gel or medicine to relieve this pain. And also guide how to use them.

#

• Start the medication Doxycycline 200 mg once daily for three days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Some stomach upset may occur. If so then discontinue.
  • After medication, apply some Dologel ointment (Choline salicylate) on the affected area.
  • Dilute Chlorhexidine mouthwash with some water and gargle once daily. This would help a lot. Your father surely needs oral prophylaxis.

For further doubts consult an endodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endodontist

|