Q. My gum was accidentally injured during dental treatment. Will it get infected?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I went to the dentist five days ago for three fillings and he also cut my gum. I forgot what he called it, and I guess it as periodontal. It is burning because of gingivitis. As of two days ago, my gum on the opposite side was swollen and visible when I smile. It hurts to eat, touch, or even talk. My concern is whether it is infected? The office is closed and I do not know what to do.

#

• The accidental cut of the gums at the dental clinic will not infect the gums. It might bleed for a few minutes and stop. Also, the gums would have been healed by now.
  • The swelling you are talking about should be for some other reason. The description of pain you give makes me suspect of mouth ulcers.
  • There is no substitute for a visual examination. Hence, I request you to send me a picture of the gum region so that I can help you out with a better answer. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »

Why is there repeated mouth ulcer in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4 years 9 months old. He is a healthy kid with normal weight (17 to 18 kg). But, he often gets a mouth ulcer. It is quite often like once in two months mainly in his buccal mucosa and inner corner of the lip which touches the primary canine. This hurts him and so he avoids food...  Read Full »

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?

Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »