Q. My gum was accidentally injured during dental treatment. Will it get infected?

Dr. Geethanjali Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 10, 2021

I went to the dentist five days ago for three fillings and he also cut my gum. I forgot what he called it, and I guess it as periodontal. It is burning because of gingivitis. As of two days ago, my gum on the opposite side was swollen and visible when I smile. It hurts to eat, touch, or even talk. My concern is whether it is infected? The office is closed and I do not know what to do.

#

• The accidental cut of the gums at the dental clinic will not infect the gums. It might bleed for a few minutes and stop. Also, the gums would have been healed by now.
  • The swelling you are talking about should be for some other reason. The description of pain you give makes me suspect of mouth ulcers.
  • There is no substitute for a visual examination. Hence, I request you to send me a picture of the gum region so that I can help you out with a better answer. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|