Q. Though I stopped my Depo injection, I have not got my period. Please advise.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2020

I was on the Depo injection for 4 years. I have been off the depo injection for 1 year and 3 months. Also, I have taken any other contraception in the last 1 year. Four months ago, I went to my GP as I have had no bleeding still. She did some hormone test, which came back low and booked me for an internal scan. Internal scan results showed more than 10 follicles on each ovary measuring less than 1 cm and anteverted uterus. She said that the scan shows features of PCOS, but ovaries were normal in size. So, it does not confirm PCOS. I also had a repeat hormone blood test, which were fine. I was advised to come back after three months if no period. I went in last month as my iron was low (8) and explained the reason as periods causing low iron. Obviously, I went crazy and explained her that I have not had a single period in the last 5 years. She did not know what to say and just told me to take iron tablets. Nowadays, I am bleeding after sex. Sometimes it is fresh red blood when I wipe. But, I do not have any symptoms of the period. I feel like I am going crazy as I would like to start a family. Can you advise me what to do? I have done at least two pregnancy tests every month as I am going insane and always negative.

#

• As you were on Depo injection for almost 4 to 5 years, it is a common problem with Depo injection. But, most of the time period starts within 1 year of stopping Depo injection.
  • But, as you said, if your hormone level is normal like LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), E2 (estradiol), TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and prolactin, then more likely you will get your period.
  • You can take hormonal contraceptive tablets for 21 days and you will get your period. But, you cannot get pregnant while on tablets.
  • For that you have to wait until your periods start. Do not take stress and that is all you can do. One more thing is that do serum AMH level (anti-mullerian hormone). It will give some idea that you have ovum left or not.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|