Q. Does high TSH range mean any problem?

Dr. Rufiat Kazi
Published on Sep 24, 2018

If TSH range is 18.64, does it mean any problem?

Dr. Rufiat Kazi

Community Medicine Family Physician
#

TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test is done to check for thyroid function of the body. The normal range that can be considered within limits is up to 5.5. Since your value is 18.64, it falls in the higher range. It means you are suffering from a condition known as hypothyroidism. You will need to start medications for the same. I would suggest you consult a physician who will treat any associated symptoms you are experiencing and also start you on medications.

Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to ...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Should hypothyroidism medicine be given for TSH level 8.12?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 75 years has TSH 8.12. She has adrenalism and takes Hisone 12 mg daily. Should she be administered medicine for hypothyroidism?  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now