Q. I wake up every morning with extreme tiredness, mild headache, feeling very sleepy and have no interest in work. Please give me advice.

I sleep at 10 PM at night and get up at 7 AM. I am getting adequate sleep. But for the last few days, I wake up very tired in the morning and this is causing me to sleep in office.

Please give me advice regarding this.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology

Thanks for posting a query at icliniq.

The problem you described can be caused by multiple factors.

One of them is subclinical viral infection that wisely affects during change of season. This is generally also associated with generalized myalgia, easy fatigability and decreased interest in work. If these symptoms are present along with sleep problem, I advise you to wait for two weeks from the first day of your symptoms and if you have suffered more than two weeks by the time you raise a query that it is matter of concern.

If you are overweight, you may be suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) which causes hypersomnia during the day. OSA is characterized by snoring and cessation of breathing while sleeping. If your family members or room partner complain of snoring while you sleep then, this could be the reason for your symptoms.

Another condition that presents with hypersomnia is depression. In this, people have unrefreshing sleep. Depression is also associated with increase or decrease of appetite, feeling sad, loss of self esteem, loss of pleasure in activities that were pleasurable in past to name a few. If any of these symptom criteria applies for you, then you need to meet a psychiatrist online or in person for further course of action.

If all the above descriptions do not meet your other symptoms then please repost the query with more details such as your age, weight, duration of symptom, gender, any psychosexual stress in the recent past, sleep attacks, any medical history kind of medicines you received or receiving. I will help you with the direction.

Dear Doctor,

I am not overweight. During the weekend (saturday and sunday), I usually go for sleep in the afternoon for about 4 hours from 12PM to 5PM. And after that sleep also, I feel very tired. And today morning, I am feeling very sleepy, tired and feel like being sleepy.

I am an ex alcoholic. So I am having disulfiram in night every day. I am also having Clonotril 2mg for anxiety. I do snore in the night. The symptoms which I feel now is extreme tiredness, mild headache and loss of interest in work.

Age 25/ male. Height 6 feet and weight 68 kg.

Please advise me in this.

Few details are still missing in your narration, but I will try my best to analyse your problem.

There are three possibilities in your case that may be responsible for your symptoms.

1) First of all it may be just normal reaction to your hectic week days. If you were burdened during the week days, most of the time we try to refresh ourself with excess sleep on week ends. But in case of having excessive sleep, it is also possible that the Paradoxical Effect will occur. That means "more we sleep more we feel tired". This appears to be the most likely problem in your case as no change of situation or medication reported by your side.

Now what you need to do is, wait for next two days and try to resume your usual routine. Just increase your caffeine intake if you like. Try not to think about it. Have involvement in some activities that you use to enjoy like playing, gardening, exercise, watching TV or whatever you like. Probably you will be fine by the next three days.

2) The second most obvious problem may be related to your Clonotril. If you have recently started taking this, it might be the most likely cause. Clonotril having half life of more than 15 hours, that have some hang over kind of effect on next morning. I advise you to take only 1mg rather than 2mg. Wait for at least one hour and then take another 1mg if required.

If you take this at bed time then reducing the dose might be beneficial for you. But, If you take during the day shift, then your dose will be at usual 2mg dose.

3) The third possibility is depression. The symptoms you described in last sentence favour towards depression. If you have these symptoms along with other symptoms described in my answer to your query previously for more than two weeks, then you are suffering from depression.

Diagnosis of depression requires further evaluation and appropriate management. Have your thyroid profile done from a nearby laboratory and do contact me after this. The treatment of depression is long process and you need lots of psycho education for the same.

The last possibility is that, it might be because of the side effect of Disulfiram. If you have these symptoms after starting disulfiram, then you need to change the medication or at least reduce the dose of disulfiram.

I hope I have answered your query but still if you feel something left do contact a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I get a lot of unrealistic thoughts and mood swings. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male, I get a lot of unrealistic thoughts, and they consume a lot of my time; as a result, I suffer in studies. I feel as if I am in a different world when I watch movies or traveling or listening to music. I saw a girl's video online, I watched her dance and became he...  Read Full >>

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from a labile mood, characterized by frequent mood swings. This can hamper your progress and it has to be treated. You require a mood stabilizer, I suggest you try taking the following. Tablet Dicorate ER (Divalproex) 500 mg, once daily. Tablet S...  Read Full

Please go through the patient's history, and tell me if she will ever recover fully?

Query: Hello doctor, My relative's daughter, who is 16 years old, met with a car accident. She is admitted to the hospital. Please give your suggestions on her case. She is currently undergoing surgery. The below extract was of her case study. The doctors say that the body below her neck is not moving. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the case scenario. The reason behind her low blood pressure and inability to move all four limbs is actually the cervical spinal cord injury. Surgery is risky because of low blood pressure, but it is possible to operate if the anesthetic team is able to manag...  Read Full

What are the causes and treatment for premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor, I ejaculate too early and I ejaculate about 2.5 ml. Is that normal? What should I do to raise sperm volume?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Within how much time do you ejaculate? Volume is fine. For more information consult an andrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now