Q. I get a lot of unrealistic thoughts and mood swings. Please help.

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2021

I am a 22 year old male, I get a lot of unrealistic thoughts, and they consume a lot of my time; as a result, I suffer in studies. I feel as if I am in a different world when I watch movies or traveling or listening to music. I saw a girl's video online, I watched her dance and became her fan. I know she is not my girlfriend, but when she posted a photo with her boyfriend, I was heart broken. I feel sad that I am not a famous personality, and I sleep a lot because of sadness. I think it is true that the world is a sad place, full of misery. I mean happiness is not permanent like I scored good marks, but happiness fades away in a couple of days. I want to do something great which nobody else has done.

#

• You seem to be suffering from a labile mood, characterized by frequent mood swings. This can hamper your progress and it has to be treated.
  • You require a mood stabilizer, I suggest you try taking the following.
  1. Tablet Dicorate ER (Divalproex) 500 mg, once daily.
  2. Tablet Sizodon LS (combination of Risperidone and Trihexyphenidyl), one tablet at night.
  3. Tablet Clonotril (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg, at night.
  • Take these medicines for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and then start taking the medicines after their consent. Get a thyroid function test done.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you for the reply. Do I have to take all three tablets at the same time? Everybody else told me that there is nothing to worry about, this is normal. But, when I searched about labile mood characteristic, it seems correct. That is why you are a doctor, and others are not. So, I am not mentally ill, right?

#

• Yes, you can take these medications together after consulting your doctor. Just continue the medications, and you will be alright in some time.
  • Mood stabilizer will prevent any further fluctuations in your mood. But, you may have to be on regular follow-up.
  • I also advise you to remain abstinent from any substance abuse, if you use any.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|