Q. My daughter suffers a strange allergy. What is it?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

My daughter is 13 years old. She is suffering from strange allergy since two years. It became very bad and affects her psychologically. It started when we changed our location before two years. I have consulted three doctors and all of them said it as strange and did not show response to any medication. I even tried biopsy to find out the disease. Her doctor just advised to avoid potato chips, cream, etc. She become more frustrated and looks sad always. Please help us. 

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your concern and examined the given pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It looks like dermatitis artefacta or striae distensae (stretch marks).
  • Dermatitis artefacta is defined as the self-inflicted skin damage.
  • Typical locations for the lesions are always on accessible sites where patient hands can reach like face, distal end of upper limb, lower limb, trunks, upper arm and scalp.
  • Dermatitis artefacta individual may also have a personal history of psychiatric illness, including anxiety, depression and personality disorder. Such patient requires both dermatologic and psychosocial support.

Anxiety, depression and personality disorder.

No specific laboratory blood tests are required to establish a diagnosis of dermatitis artefacta nor are any diagnostic imaging studies indicated.

1. Dermatitis artefacta.
2. Factitious disorder.
3. Striae distensae.

Dermatitis artefacta.

1. General dermatologic care measures include baths and debridement (thorough cleaning).
2. I suggest you to apply emollients like Emoderm cream (White soft paraffin and liquid paraffin) twice daily along with topical antimicrobials like Fusidin cream (Fusidic acid) twice daily for five days. Consult her doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.
3. Consultation with a psychiatrist is recommended.

She needs to be observed closely and she really requires psychological support.

Revert back after a month to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article