Personality Disorder

Personality disorders are a group of psychological disorders that result in unhealthy thinking, behaving, and functioning to changes and demands of life. Environmental and genetic factors can cause it. Psychotherapy and antipsychotic medications are used in the treatment.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What are the causes of self-doubts and lack of self-confidence, and how to get rid of it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lot of self-doubts and feel like I am being watched. I am scared to move into the city and also fear boys. I always feel insecure that someone might find fault in my acts while listening to class with a strength of 200. I have low self-esteem and self-confidence.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to First of all, Thanks for raising this query. The problem you described affects about 5% of the general population, and most of them never know whether any help is available. Many of them do not admit and confide it to others. You were thinking of what others to think ab...  Read Full »

Can a personality disorder make you not react to other people?

Query: I am 20 years old. I want to ask about something. This is a psychological question. I have been dealing with this for years. I am very closed up. I don't tell my stuff to people. I don't feel pity, sympathy, or pain. I don't cry, or feel angry when someone tries to make me angry. I just let them be,...  Read Full »

Dr. Sibananda Mishra

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello! Your question is very important. Actually, as a human being, we have feelings or emotion as good or bad, happy or sad. we must laugh or cry for sometime in a day. It is required and it is required for good health. without emotion , man is motionless. we need to laugh or cry for some time. So...  Read Full »

I am extremely emotional and self-harm because of childhood abuse. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old girl. When I was 7, my older brother (12) used to molest me. I do not know if it was traumatic as I do not remember crying or anything. Does this count as sexual abuse? Because of the young age of my brother, I do not know if it is related. But, I am extremely emotiona...  Read Full »

Dr. Sathya Prakash


Answer: Hi, Welcome to Although what happened to you in your early childhood is beyond doubt, I would advise you to desist from making any correlation between your current problems and the abusive incidents. Like you accurately pointed out, at that age, you were unaware of the nature of the ac...  Read Full »

How to stop self-harming behavior?

Query: Hi doctor, I struggle to focus and I cannot concentrate on my studies. I just think about other things, not always bad things, but sometimes I think about throwing myself out the window. When I am asked a question or if there are some people around, I used to get panic and struggle to answer. My vo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sathya Prakash


Answer: Hi, Welcome to From what you are describing, it appears that there is a personality disorder. It is not a disease, just a kind of personality that is not very adaptable. This also means that there is nothing to be ashamed of or worried about as far as the diagnosis is concerned. This is...  Read Full »

My daughter is suffering from a strange allergy. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My daughter is 13 years old. She is suffering from strange allergy since two years. It became very bad and affects her psychologically. It started when we changed our location before two years. I have consulted three doctors and all of them said it as strange and did not show response to a...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen your concern and examined the given pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like dermatitis artefacta or striae distensae (stretch marks). Dermatitis artefacta is defined as the self-inflicted skin damage. Typical locations for the ...  Read Full »

How can I be more responsible and in control without constantly feeling hurt?

Query: Hello doctor, I am extremely emotional. I cannot control my feelings and always feel like a victim. How can I be more responsible and in control without constantly feeling hurt?  Read Full »

Dr. Ruhi Satija


Answer: Hi, Welcome to First of all, I appreciate you for your strength to be able to recognize your own nonhelpful thoughts and behavior. It takes a lot of courage. Self-victimization often is seen with people who have had a childhood in a nonnurturing or dysfunctional family. It can also be...  Read Full »

How to deal with a person obsessed over a girl?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26 year old son has a very volatile open relationship with a girl and they are basically friends with benefits. Her family does not like my son and forbids his access to their home. Due to some situations we got to know that she is seeing someone else too. As a result of which, th...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is better that you are concerned about your son and you want to keep your family together. It is a good sign for a healthy family support. Though from your account it seems that your son have a risk taking behavior, which is evident as he repeatedly get involved in ...  Read Full »

I feel uncomfortable among people. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel weird when I am among people. I get scared sometimes. On some occasions, my mind is just blank. I do not know what to say in response, and when the conversation ends, I feel like I should have to say something good. These things depress me more.  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your problem. You seem to have social anxiety or anxious personality traits. This is one of the most common psychiatric problem people usually encounter but there is always a solution to every problem. Yours also has a solution. There is a therapy called...  Read Full »

How to handle the ego of an 18 year old girl?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a teacher and I do not live with my husband. When I left my country my childern were 7.5, 6 and 2.5 years old. Now in the new place, they are 19.5, 18 and 14.5 years old. My daughter, who is 18 years old, is wild. She is doing her first year college. My daughter got involved with a...  Read Full »

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your daughter is 18 years and that means she is in her late adolescent period where these people do believe that they are matured enough to handle everything and are capable to take decision according to the circumstances. They believe so, but in actuality they are not ma...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms related to autism or bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I am waiting for an assessment of autism spectrum disorder. In the past few years, I have been misdiagnosed with bipolar, and my current diagnosis is borderline personality disorder. But, I am not sure whats going on really. I am 100 % confident that I am ASD, as it covers my "base pers...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatrist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It does not appear to be related to autism spectrum disorder. It goes more in favor of bipolar disorder with a current episode of mania. A personality disorder can also be there. The differential diagnoses are: Bipolar disorder. Emotionally unstable personality d...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.