Q. Endoscopy reveals problem in nasal turbinates. Is surgery a must?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

I have a problem of nasal congestion for almost 15 days now. It started with running nose first and then the nose got blocked. In the past, I have taken antibiotic for eight days. For three days, I had taken Augmentin 375 twice a day and Erythrocin 500 one tablet a day for five days. I had shown it to an ENT specialist at my place. He has done endoscopy and diagnosed some turbinate issue in my nose for which he has suggested laser treatment. I would like to have second opinion on the same, to reaffirm whether it is required at this stage? I am a 46 year old male with no past medical record on this. If not required then what could be the treatment? I am attaching the diagram drawn by doctor after endoscopy. Red marking is the issue shown. Please let me have a detailed opinion. Thank you.

#

• If the problem is only for 15 days, then in my opinion, surgery can be withheld now.
  • Your nose has septal deviation and turbinate (structures present on side walls inside the nose) hypertrophy (enlarged) according to the diagram (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • If you are not going for surgery, then use topical nasal spray for three weeks.

Revert back after three weeks to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Which topical nasal spray should I use? Please suggest.

#

• Fluticasone nasal spray once daily in both nostrils for three weeks.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|