Q. Am I taking the correct medication for diabetes and hypertension?

Dr. Hariharan V
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

I am a 46 year old male. My height is 165 cm and weight is 65 kg. I am a known HTN since 3 years. My medications were Olmezest 10 mg once daily in the morning and Prolomet XL 50 mg once daily in the evening.

Now I am diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My readings are FBS 141, PPBS 236 and BP 130/80. My physician has prescribed me Gemer 1 twice daily and Tazloc-H 40 mg once daily.

I heard that Metformin ER has to be taken daily once but he asked me to take twice daily. I would like to know whether my medicines are fine or not.

Do I need any more medicine? Also my heart rate was higher earlier but is under control with the use of Prolomet XL.

Now the Prolomet is replaced by Tazloc-H 40 mg. Will it be a problem? Please help.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

Previously, you were on tablet Olmezest (Olmesartan) and tablet Prolomet XL 50 (Metoprolol tartrate). Now you are on diabetic medication and tablet Tazloc-H 40 (Telmisartan). Tablet Olmezest and tablet Tazloc are similar kind of drugs. So, taking one drug is enough.

I think you are taking tablet Tazloc-H alone now. It is a good tablet. It prevents heart problems, kidney failure and will make you to pass more urine. Take one tablet after breakfast regularly.

You were taking tablet Prolomet XL. We usually prescribe this for severe hypertension or tachycardia (increased heart rate). Since you have both hypertension and diabetes, I request you to buy one blood pressure machine and glucometer.

Please check your pulse rate four to five times a day and record. It can be done by using a BP machine or you can check yourself manually. Just put two fingers in left wrist, far left side. See the watch and count your pulse for one minute. It should be less than 90.

If your pulse rate is more than 90 per minute regularly, then we can start back tablet Prolomet XL. Similarly, if tablet Tazloc-H is not enough to control BP, we can start tablet Prolomet XL.

Your fasting blood sugar (FBS) and post prandial blood sugar (PPBS) are both high. As you have started the diabetes drugs recently, we can check FBS and PPBS after 15 days of drugs and can adjust medications.

The maximum dose of the tablet Metformin ER (extended release) is about 2000 mg. So, we can safely prescribe two 1000 mg ER morning and night. True, tablet Metformin ER works for 24 hours. So, we can take up to 2000 mg ER once a day. But, if we take in two doses (500/850/1000 mg) there will be a constant presence of Metformin in blood. So, no need to worry.

For urine infection, drink plenty of water. Take syrup Urikind (Potassium magnesium citrate) 10 ml mixed in one glass of water three times a day.

Diabetes can cause urine infection and controlling blood sugar will reduce the frequency of getting urine infections.

Summary:

1. Drink plenty of water and syrup Urikind for urinary tract infection.
  2. Take only tablet Tazloc-H for blood pressure and stop tablet Olmezest.
  3. Check pulse four times a day for next few days. See whether it is under 90 per minute most of the time. Also check BP every day and maintain a chart. Contact me if BP is more than 130/90 mmHg or pulse more than 90 per minute.
  4. No problem with tablet Metformin ER.
  5. Do FBS and PPBS after 15 days and contact me.

Revert back after 15 days for follow up to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|