Q. I am advised to take Novastat while on insulin. Is it safe?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I have been prescribed Novastat by a GP (no diabetes specialist was available. Level of triglyceride 183 and HDL 36. Fasting blood sugar yesterday was 450. Postprandial was 500. Today random sugar is 300. I am on insulin since yesterday. Urine glucose is 4+. Is it fine to wait for a day and consult an endocrinologist and then start this medication?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

#

I have seen reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), suggestive of newly detected type 2 diabetes mellitus. The good thing is that the urine ketone body is negative, so complications are not much. You need to control sugar. Doctor prescribed your long acting insulin and anti diabetic medication. Follow the instructions,

1. Put her on short acting insulin,

2. Check GRBs (general random blood sugar) three times then fix dose followed by converting it into an oral drug.

3. Get HbA1c, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) done. Do ECG if any other complaints connect me. Endocrinologist not required, you only need a sugar control.

Is it fine to wait for a day or two maximum before starting Novastat and Ramistar? Please advice.

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

#

You have to start insulin immediately, do not wait as I told to control blood sugar. So start Novastat.

How to reduce triglyceride levels after stent placement?

Query: Hello doctor,How to reduce triglyceride levels, which is 262 as on today. I have a stent placed three years ago.  Read Full »

Why do my total cholesterol and triglycerides level keep fluctuating?

Query: Hello doctor, My recent lipid profile showed borderline cholesterol and triglycerides. My total cholesterol is 207 and triglycerides are 324. From the past seven years, my cholesterol is fluctuating. The cholesterol keeps fluctuating around 200 and triglycerides between 180 to 300. My echocardiogram...  Read Full »