Q. How to confirm diabetes when we receive unlike values from different lab?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Apr 29, 2019

I am a-32-years old male. Two days ago my wife and I had diabetes tests, and as of now, we do not have diabetes. Three to four months ago when we tested my result was 120, and my wife result was 140. But two days ago when we had tested, I have 122 before breakfast and 240 after two hours of breakfast. My wife had 142 at fasting and 242 after two hours of breakfast.

We were shocked and worried. My mom and dad do not have diabetes and wife side her mom had diabetes, but her father does not have. My weight is 81 kg, and I am 5'5" height. My wife is about 87 kg weight and 5'5" height. Again we did a test at another place using glucometer after four hours after lunch, and surprisingly I got 102, and my wife had 170. The lady who did our test in front of us and confirmed that we do not have diabetes. Please help us. We do not know how to proceed. Awaiting for your response.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

A glucometer is not the standard gold method it has a variability of 30 Plus or minus for conforming. Do HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar level) and urine complete. If these all reports turn to be normal, then there is nothing to worry. Maybe from tomorrow do regular exercise and take the test after seven days.

We have done the suggested steps for my wife and me. I am attaching the test reports. Kindly help us. Awaiting for your response.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

Reports of, a 31-year-old female.

HbA1c is 8.8 which is high, and she needs medications. Also, her FBS is 157, and PPBS is 220. What medicines is she is using now? If she is not on any drugs, we need to start,

1. Tablet. Metsmall 500 mg (Metformin) two times a day morning and evening after food for 15 days along with,

2. Tablet Pan 40 mg (pantoprazole) before food once a day morning for 15 days.

3. Tablet Neurokind LC (Levo-carnitine, Methylcobalamin,and Folic acid) once a day morning after meal for 15 days.

If she is on any other medications, kindly share details about her drugs, and blood pressure (BP).

Reports of a 32-year-old male.

HbA1c is 7.3, FBS is 139, and PPBS is 204. If you have not started any medications, need to start,

1. Tablet. Metsmall 500 mg once a day morning alone after food for 15 days along with,

2. Tablet Pan 40 before food once a day morning for 15 days.

3. Tablet Neurokind LC once a day morning after meal for 15 days.

Both can have the same medication. Since she has high value, we may need to increase the dose next time. I have started with basic treatment and shared the drug names considering that you are not allergic to a given medications.

I am not using any medicine, but my wife had PCOD and migraine problems. Her BP is 110/80. She is using Folinal plus tablets daily once everyday afternoon for PCOD, and Topamac 50 mg tablets daily once everyday night for migraine. Kindly let us know if she needs to stop those medicines or she can continue. Also, please advice the food diet. Can we use Paracetamol and generic drug when needed? And finally mentioned medications for 15 days so what is the next process?

Please let us know will diabetes be controlled for us if we take medications for some time period. We are entirely down with these results, and we are expecting the best medicine, and we are ready to follow all your suggestions. Kindly help us.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

Yes, she can continue her PCOD and migraine medication along the with the medications I sent you. I can be able to stop the medicine if you follow a proper diet and exercise considering your low level of blood sugar. Regarding diet, it is essential for you to consult a nutritional specialist, so you will have a proper diet follow-up. I can only advice, in general, to take less sugar, oil in food and take chapati for dinner. Yes, you can use Paracetamol no harm unless any allergy is involved.

Related Video

Three days after starting diabetes medicine, I feel dizzy. What is the reason?

Query: Dear doctor,Recently, I was diagnosed with diabetes and my blood sugar fasting was 231 and random was 271 mg/dL. I consulted a doctor and he prescribed me Qosmet 500 mg/ 50mg twice a day and Amaryl 1 mg once in the morning. After a week, my sugar was under control and blood sugar fasting was 93 mg/d...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now