Q. Three days after starting diabetes medicine, I feel dizzy. What is the reason?

Dr. Rabbanie Tariq Wani
Published on Feb 06, 2018

Dear doctor,

Recently, I was diagnosed with diabetes and my blood sugar fasting was 231 and random was 271 mg/dL. I consulted a doctor and he prescribed me Qosmet 500 mg/ 50mg twice a day and Amaryl 1 mg once in the morning. After a week, my sugar was under control and blood sugar fasting was 93 mg/dL and random was 111 mg/dL and 139 mg/dL. Three days I was fine but after that, I am feeling vertigo (dizziness). Kindly tell me why this is happening to me. Is it any side effect of the tablet I am taking or any other issue?

#

You should monitor your blood sugar twice a week and especially at those times when you are feeling dizzy. Initially, with the start of medication, you may have some low blood sugar symptoms due to the first effect of medications for treatment of diabetes.

I suggest you buy a glucometer and keep a check of your blood glucose twice a week and also check your blood sugar whenever you have such kind of symptoms like dizziness, sweating, and irritability.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

I am 6 months pregnant with high random sugar level. Will it affect my baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 6 months pregnant. I did a random blood sugar test so range was 218. Please tell me will it affect my baby. What should I do for control? Please reply and give suggestions.  Read Full »

Do I have to stop taking ashwagandha before a surgery?Will it interact with anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am scheduled for sinus surgery day after tomorrow. I have been given a list of medications which should not be taken and I have followed that. However, I have been taking ashwagandha (herb supplement 470 mg once a day) to help with anxiety. I read online that this may interfere with ...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now