Q. What are the ways to manage fatigue in a patient taking Metformin?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

My father's age is 60 years and is a patient of type 2 DM. He is also a patient of hypertension with an abnormal lipid profile. His RBS is now 360 mg/dl. He is suffering from extreme fatigue although BP is controlled by anti-hypertensive drugs. In this condition, how can we manage fatigue although he is taking Metformin regularly?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner

Looking at RBG given (360 mg/100 ml), he has totally uncontrolled diabetes. When this happens there is a lot of glucose lost through urine, leading to excess urination, excess thirst and excess hunger. Plus there is unexplained weight loss and severe tiredness. The remedy for that is to achieve strict glucose control.

Ideally, in a well-controlled patient, fasting glucose should be less than 100 mg, PP 150 to 170 mg and HbA1c % less than 6.8. For his age, it can be around 7 %. It is clear that his current treatment is totally inadequate. There is a need to upgrade the same. Some additional drug or drugs are required. Plus we will have to give a closer look at his present diet, weight, the extent of daily exercise. It is also necessary to check lipid profile, serum creatinine, and urea as well as microalbuminuria. Therefore, it is necessary to consult your local physician and get the necessary treatment initiated. If you are looking for online help, then please come back with all the above details for a consultation. Then I will be able to give specific guidance and even prescribe necessary medication. But please do not neglect. Such high glucose is an invitation for long term complications associated with diabetes. I hope you understand the situation.

My physician says I am normal. But, I feel otherwise. Please guide me.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I recently had blood work done at a hospital near me. My physician says I am normal and that nothing is wrong. But, the following are troubling to me: My testosterone levels are at the lower end of the normal spectrum which does not seem good considering my age ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your lab results are well within the normal range. Your testosterone is normal. It usually keeps fluctuating throughout the day. So, it is normal to find it on the lower range of the spectrum. You...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now