Q. What are the medicines available for tricuspid regurgitation and aortic stenosis?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Feb 28, 2019

My wife aged 72, weight 65 kg, is a diabetic type 2 for the past six years, hypertensive for the past two years, is suffering from moderate tricuspid regurgitation, aortic valve sclerosis, and pulmonary hypertension for the past two years. Her systolic function is good and there is no diastolic dysfunction.

No drugs are prescribed for AS or TR. For hypertension, she was prescribed Telmisartan 40 one tablet per day with which her BP is about 145-150/90-85. Diabetes is under control. Other parameters are normal. Whether the present medication is adequate or she needs further medication such as Tadalafil to treat PAH. Any medication for TR? Please advise.

#

On the face of diabetes and hypertension with raised cholesterol and LDL, I suggest you add tablet Rosuvas (Rosuvastatin) one tablet daily after dinner. Consult your doctor. I think the dose of anti-diabetes medicine could be adjusted to reduce his blood sugar level to reduce further to near the desired level along with BP medicine dose to adjust to achieve BP around 130/80. Regarding PAH and other valvular diseases, your Cardiologists will decide after going through different parameters.

Why do I feel giddy while standing or walking?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I am on BP medicine Cresar 40 since a month. Prior to that, I was on Aten 50. Now, my BP is around 130/100 mmHg and before it was 160/106 mmHg. When I take my walk or I am standing I feel giddy, probably for less than a second. It is more prevalent when I turn my...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is called postural hypotension. It is very common in hypertensive patients. I suggest you Telma H (Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide) once daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Take normal salt ...  Read Full

Heart Valve Regurgitation

Article Overview: Regurgitation is the backflow of the blood in the opposite direction due to improper closure of the heart valves. This article discusses why it occurs. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Regurgitation is the backflow of the blood in the opposite direction due to improper closure of the heart valves. There are four types depending on which of the valves are affected. Mitral regurgitation. Aortic regurgitation. Tricuspid regurgitation. Pulmonary regurgitation. Why Does It Occur? I...  Read Article

Can my height and weight play a role in aortic regurgitation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 57 years old. I had a recent echocardiogram to monitor my moderate aortic regurgitation and mildly dilated aortic root and ascending aorta of 41 mm. Both remained stable. My rest echo report indicated the following: Normal left ventricular size. Overall low normal systol...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have evaluated your echo report. In your case, the echo clearly shows that AR (atrial regurgitation) is due to a localized prolapse of the anterior half of RCC (right coronary cusp). So it is not due to coaptation failure. By general rule, tallness has nothing to...  Read Full