Q. What is your opinion regarding my diabetes treatment?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

I am 45 years old. I have been suffering from diabetes for the last 10 years. Initially, I was on Metformin 500 mg plus Glimepiride 1 mg twice daily. For the last two years, I am taking Metformin 500 plus Glimepiride 2 mg plus Voglison 0.2 twice a day. But, currently, my sugar level is high. So, my doctor added Pioglitazone 15 two times a day. After starting this drug, my fasting sugar level is 212 and PPBS is 250. Please suggest what I should do now.

#

• To actually advise a change in your medications, I would require you to follow up with me with your blood sugar levels again.
  • I hope your doctor has informed you about the side effects of Pioglitazone. I am not comfortable with using it, so I would like to suggest a different regimen for you.
  • I would suggest you to tablet Glycomet GP 3 (Glimepiride 3 mg and Metformin 850 mg) twice a day, morning and night after meals.
  • Along with this tablet Volibo (Voglibose 0.3 mg) at afternoon, before your lunch. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Continue these medicines and inform me your fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels after seven days. Also, you can do another test called HbA1c, which informs us about your blood sugar control over three months duration.
  • I would like to inform you that your weight is in the obese group, which increases your chance of poor insulin response, insulin resistance and high risk of cardiovascular complications.
  • Start exercising for at least 30 minutes daily, walking or jogging or yoga. Take care.

Revert back after seven days to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Related Video

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Diabetologist Now