Q. What is your opinion regarding my diabetes treatment?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

I am 45 years old. I have been suffering from diabetes for the last 10 years. Initially, I was on Metformin 500 mg plus Glimepiride 1 mg twice daily. For the last two years, I am taking Metformin 500 plus Glimepiride 2 mg plus Voglison 0.2 twice a day. But, currently, my sugar level is high. So, my doctor added Pioglitazone 15 two times a day. After starting this drug, my fasting sugar level is 212 and PPBS is 250. Please suggest what I should do now.

#

• To actually advise a change in your medications, I would require you to follow up with me with your blood sugar levels again.
  • I hope your doctor has informed you about the side effects of Pioglitazone. I am not comfortable with using it, so I would like to suggest a different regimen for you.
  • I would suggest you to tablet Glycomet GP 3 (Glimepiride 3 mg and Metformin 850 mg) twice a day, morning and night after meals.
  • Along with this tablet Volibo (Voglibose 0.3 mg) at afternoon, before your lunch. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Continue these medicines and inform me your fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels after seven days. Also, you can do another test called HbA1c, which informs us about your blood sugar control over three months duration.
  • I would like to inform you that your weight is in the obese group, which increases your chance of poor insulin response, insulin resistance and high risk of cardiovascular complications.
  • Start exercising for at least 30 minutes daily, walking or jogging or yoga. Take care.

Revert back after seven days to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|