iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDiabetologydiabetesMy father has high blood sugar levels. Please help.

How to manage diabetes?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At August 14, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 16, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My father is suffering from diabetes. His blood sugar values are around 350 to 470 mg/dL in the report. Earlier, he never had such a problem. Please provide some solution and help us to get it cured.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

From the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is found that your father has overt diabetes and should be managed efficiently to prevent the complications. There are two ways of diabetes management: Lifestyle changes - It includes diabetic diet, daily exercise and cholesterol and weight management. Drug therapy - If blood sugars are so high that they cannot be well controlled on dietary measures, the medicines are required. Medicines are again decided based on the blood sugar levels. You should not play with these drugs. As this can be harmful, get them prescribed by a doctor only. They would start with an assumed dosage and will modify the medicine based on his blood sugar values. With his blood sugar level, I would prefer to start him with Metformin, Glimepiride and Sitagliptin. In case, not controlled with the highest possible doses of these drugs, he would require insulin. I would advise you to get the following investigations done for him. HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin), fasting lipid profile, serum creatinine, urine for microalbumin and ECG (electrocardiogram). Based on the reports, he would be started on the treatment.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anshul Varshney
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy