Q. How to manage diabetes?

My father is suffering from diabetes. His blood sugar values are around 350-470 in the report. Earlier, he never had such a problem. Please provide some solution and help us to get it cured.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

From the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is found that your father has overt diabetes and should be managed efficiently to prevent the complications.

There are two ways of diabetes management:

1. Lifestyle changes - It includes diabetic diet, daily exercise and cholesterol and weight management.
  2. Drug therapy - If blood sugars are so high that they cannot be well controlled on dietary measures, the medicines are required.

Medicines are again decided based on the blood sugar levels. You should not play with these drugs. As this can be harmful, get them prescribed by a doctor only. They would start with an assumed dosage and will modify the medicine based on his blood sugar values.

With his blood sugar level, I would prefer to start him with Metformin, Glimepiride and Sitagliptin.

• In case, not controlled with the highest possible doses of these drugs, he would require Insulin.
  • I would advise you to get the following investigations done for him. HbA1C, fasting lipid profile, serum creatinine, urine for microalbumin and ECG. Based on the reports, he would be started on the treatment.

Revert back with the investigation report to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|