Q. How to manage diabetes?

My father is suffering from diabetes. His blood sugar values are around 350-470 in the report. Earlier, he never had such a problem. Please provide some solution and help us to get it cured.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

From the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is found that your father has overt diabetes and should be managed efficiently to prevent the complications.

There are two ways of diabetes management:

1. Lifestyle changes - It includes diabetic diet, daily exercise and cholesterol and weight management.
  2. Drug therapy - If blood sugars are so high that they cannot be well controlled on dietary measures, the medicines are required.

Medicines are again decided based on the blood sugar levels. You should not play with these drugs. As this can be harmful, get them prescribed by a doctor only. They would start with an assumed dosage and will modify the medicine based on his blood sugar values.

With his blood sugar level, I would prefer to start him with Metformin, Glimepiride and Sitagliptin.

• In case, not controlled with the highest possible doses of these drugs, he would require Insulin.
  • I would advise you to get the following investigations done for him. HbA1C, fasting lipid profile, serum creatinine, urine for microalbumin and ECG. Based on the reports, he would be started on the treatment.

Revert back with the investigation report to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Related Video

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now