HomeAnswersInternal MedicinediabetesWith a family history of diabetes, am I prone to diabetes in the near future?

Will eating fruits for dinner increase my sugar levels and cause diabetes?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 1, 2021
Reviewed AtMarch 1, 2021

Patient's Query

Can I have fruits for dinner? Will it increase my sugar levels, or will I get diabetes because of it, as I have a family history of diabetes? As of now, I do not have diabetes.

Also, if I want to replace my dinner with fruits which fruits do you suggest?

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you want to take fruits instead of a traditional meal at dinner. Yes, you can take fruits for dinner. There is nothing to be worried about at all. You have a family history of diabetes, but you are not diabetic at present. Am I right? Again, fruits contain natural sugar, which is less than the carbohydrate meals that are usually taken at dinner. As you are free from diabetes, you can take meals or fruits at dinner without being anxious about the blood sugar levels. If you become diabetic in the near future, then you should follow the diabetic food chart. You can take those fruits which can meet up your hunger.

I hope I have answered your question.

In case of any other query, ask me.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

How can I avoid getting diabetes? Even though I have a family history of diabetes, can I prevent it?

Thanks for joining again.

You have a family history of diabetes mellitus, so you are prone to develop in the near future. To avoid diabetes, keep yourself always active, exercise daily, avoid sugar and sugar-containing foods, maintain proper sleep hygiene, lead a tension and anxiety-free life, avoid taking alcohol and smoking, regular monitoring of blood sugar levels, restriction of taking carbohydrates diet, monitoring of blood lipid profile, etc., may help you avoid getting diabetes.

As you have a family history of diabetes, so you are prone to develop diabetes. It is not that you will definitely be affected by diabetes.

So, lead a decent regular tension-free lifestyle will help to protect you from diabetes.

Take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy