Q. Can a diabetic patient consume barnyard millet?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Is barnyard millet good for a diabetic patient? My mother has fibroids in the uterus of 18 cm, does it impact the rise in diabetes in any case? Her current diabetes is 340 fasting. Please guide.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

Samak rice (barnyard millet) is good for everyone, more so for a diabetic person as it provides a good deal of fibers, multiple nutrients, and enough calories too. Instead of regular rice, this can be substituted. The presence of fibroids in the uterus has no direct impact on either precipitating or increasing diabetes. Fibroids can cause problems related to the uterus itself. If there are many and fairly big ones, better to get a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) done. The best judge for this is your gynecologist who can assess the situation better. Follow that advice. As regards blood glucose control, ideally fasting glucose should be less than 100 mg or closer to 100 mg, PP 150 to 170 mg and HbA1c % less than 6.8 %. Maintaining good glucose control prevents the possibility of developing long term complications related to diabetes.

| 

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. P...  Read Full »

Please suggest a diet plan for type 2 diabetes.

Query: Hello doctor, I have type 2 diabetes. I am 29 years old. My height is 5'7" and weight is 58 kg. 34 days back I gave blood tests. My fasting blood sugar was 313, postprandial 599, HbA1c-14.9, T3 109.6, T4-12.30, vitamin D-6.2 and TSH-2.29. After five days, I consulted a doctor and he gave me medicin...  Read Full »

I am implanted with pacemaker and potassium is high. What diet to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am implanted with a pacemaker. I am aged 71, potassium 5.1, fasting glucose 273, postprandial 353. What diet should I follow?  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now