Q. Can a diabetic patient have brown rice?

Dr. Divakara. P
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am a 38 year old male. My height is 6 feet height and weight is 90 kg. I have been a hypertensive for the past ten years.

My fasting sugar generally comes in the range of 100 to 130; PP 140 to 170 and A1c level is 6.6.

Should I start medicine for this? For hypertension I am taking Losar H in the morning and Amtas 5 at night.

All other tests such as lipid, KFT, LFT thyroid, etc., are normal.

#

Your levels are indicating that you are diabetic. But, the values are not that high enough to start on medications.

I recommend you to start diabetic diet and exercise regularly.

Also, repeat your fasting blood sugar (FBS), postprandial blood sugar (PPBS), and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) after three months.

Diet to be followed:

1. Avoid sweets, fruit juice and carbonated drinks.
  2. Avoid fruits like sapodilla, grapes, watermelon and jackfruit.
  3. Avoid potato, beet root and carrot.
  4. Reduce the quantity of food for lunch and dinner.
  5. Eat more of vegetables. For example, if you are eating three roti and 50 g of vegetables change it to two roti and 150 g of vegetables.
  6. Avoid drinking coffee and sugar containing drinks.

Exercise to be followed:

1. Start with casual walking and after a week, do brisk walking.
  2. Increase the intensity or duration or both of exercise for every two weeks.

Revert back with sugar reports after three months to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

I take brown rice in daytime and drink two pegs on every Saturday. Can I continue this or not?

#

You can continue taking brown rice. As of alcohol is concerned, if possible stop it.

If you are consuming wine then change it to other alcohol as wine increases blood sugar.

Revert back with sugar reports to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

I have done tests after 3 months. The report is FBS 87, PP 129, hbA1c 6.1, Vit D3 17, BUN 18, creatnine 1.02 and BUN/creat ratio 17.64. Is the report normal?

#

Thanks for posting your query.

Your Vitamin D levels are low and require supplementation. I recommend you to start Tab D-rise weekly once for 3 months. Increase your exposure to bright sunlight.

Your HbA1c is 6.1 and it is prediabetic range. But the good thing is it has reduced from 6.6 (your earlier value) to 6.1, so keep continuing your diet and exercise . Rest all are normal.

For further doubts consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

My protein level is 8.3.

#

Well, nothing to worry about that and nothing needs to be done for that. Relax.

|