Q. My diabetic husband smells of alcohol. Could he have ketosis?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Oct 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

My husband is a type-2 diabetic. He takes Metformin, Januvia, and Zoloft. He smokes marijuana and cigarettes. He has been on the strongest nicotine patch for the past week, but still smoking occasionally. Twice in the past week, he smelled strongly of beer or alcohol and I thought he had been drinking. He swears he was not. I am concerned he has symptoms of diabetic ketosis. He has been acting very angry and irrational. Could this be a result of using the patch and smoking? Is the alcohol smell something to be concerned about? Should he be seeing his doctor? Is it safe for him to be driving with our children in the car? If it is symptoms of ketosis does it just go away or get worse over time?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your husband has diabetes and he is trying to quit smoking.

• I would like to answer each one of your questions one by one:
  1. Yes, withdrawal from cigarettes can cause the person to be highly irritable and short tempered.
  2. Regarding the alcohol smell, you must check his blood sugar and urine dipstick to be very sure he does not have high blood sugar levels.
  3. He should be seeing his doctor regarding the tests and if he tests positive for ketones in his urine and blood.
  4. If his blood sugar turns out to be uncontrolled, then he must probably wait till it gets under control to be driving with children. Also, if he is under the influence of alcohol, then it is an absolute no.
  5. The symptoms of ketosis need to be treated immediately. It does not get better on its own.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »

Does Nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now