Q. My diabetic husband smells of alcohol. Could he have ketosis?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My husband is a type-2 diabetic. He takes Metformin, Januvia, and Zoloft. He smokes marijuana and cigarettes. He has been on the strongest nicotine patch for the past week, but still smoking occasionally. Twice in the past week, he smelled strongly of beer or alcohol and I thought he had been drinking. He swears he was not. I am concerned he has symptoms of diabetic ketosis. He has been acting very angry and irrational. Could this be a result of using the patch and smoking? Is the alcohol smell something to be concerned about? Should he be seeing his doctor? Is it safe for him to be driving with our children in the car? If it is symptoms of ketosis does it just go away or get worse over time?

Do you have a question on Diabetic Ketoacidosis or Diabetes?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

MBBS., MRCGP INT., PGDIP ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETES,LONDON UNIVERSITY
Diabetology Endocrinology

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your husband has diabetes and he is trying to quit smoking.

• I would like to answer each one of your questions one by one:
  1. Yes, withdrawal from cigarettes can cause the person to be highly irritable and short tempered.
  2. Regarding the alcohol smell, you must check his blood sugar and urine dipstick to be very sure he does not have high blood sugar levels.
  3. He should be seeing his doctor regarding the tests and if he tests positive for ketones in his urine and blood.
  4. If his blood sugar turns out to be uncontrolled, then he must probably wait till it gets under control to be driving with children. Also, if he is under the influence of alcohol, then it is an absolute no.
  5. The symptoms of ketosis need to be treated immediately. It does not get better on its own.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.
Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your high blood sugar levels and from the lab results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you have uncontrolled diabetes and dyslipidemia, that is, high cholesterol. According to your HbA1C, it is recommen...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for COPD?
Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced. COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief. Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease. P...  Read Full »

Will chewing nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Nicotine chewing gum causes dental issues and sometimes hair loss and flushing. However, it does not increase blood sugar. So, you can take that it is 1000 times better to take nicotine chewing gum than cigarette especially once you have dia...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now